Saxon Artillery Sword Markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saxon Artillery Sword Markings

I've had this sword for well over 30 years and was determined to be a Saxon Artillerymans sword. The sword itself has all kinds of proofs of acceptance for Saxony, but no unit markings. I just literally discovered two unit markings on the throat of the scabbard and was wondering if anyone might know which unit this would have belonged to???

The first on is 1. r. 6. The other is 2. r. 117. Thats right, they are small case "R"'s.

Now the mystery. The handle is painted black and white. The scabbard has the very bottom drag guard painted white and the eye attachment for the belt is also painted white with the rest of the scabbard being painted black. This is not something that has been done recently, this is old laquer paint. I always suspected that it was some Prussian Regimental paint job, but one of the experts here said the model is definatly Saxon.

Any chance of it having been Saxon issue and as the artillery batteries increased with the war, it was re-issued to a Prussian unit??

Any help, conjecture is appreciated.

I have seen this sword in person and would also like to know what the markings mean. Therefore, I am bumping this thread.

Comment

Gentlemen

Strange - Prussian/Saxon etc regimental markings don't seem to use the lower case except in a very few instances.

I've had a look through Jeff Noll's book on the subject and the only lower case "r" I could find was it being used to mean "reitende" or mounted in the context of a mounted artillery unit.

G. A. r. = reitende Batterie des Garde-Feld-Artillerie Regiments.

That's it I'm afraid - probably no use at all but I thought I'd mention it.

Regards

Richie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X