eickhorn sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eickhorn sword

Hi guys,have you seen one like this before .
    Attached Files

Another shot .
    Attached Files

Comment

I have seen items similiar in the past. In each case, the pieces were modified..rubbish. This appears to be an ord. saber (which used to contain a finger loop), which somebody attached a stubby-winged political eagle to. Without increased size and better detailed pics, I can only offer this as something I suspect. If you're considering it, stay away from it.

T

Comment

Hi Swordy, to late deal done better pic on way .
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Swordy,i am kinda with you on this one but it a good eagle and is well attached .

Comment

Well, if it were a decent price, you can say you got a Eickhorn ord. saber out of the deal. These did not come from the factory..ever, to the best of my experience and knowledge. Items like this pop up from time to time, and often I hear the argument from a seller or owner "well, you can't prove to me that it wasn't done during the NS period by it's owner as a personal embellishment". I usually won't dignify that with a remark. There was a nickel EM saber on gunbroker recently, which had a police eagle attached to the obverse langet...clearly an aftermarket, afterwar addition. I believe that these types of embellishments were often innocuous, and were done by some owner who simply though it would make the saber look "cooler", not neccessarily with the intent to defraud.

Maybe someone else can provide some evidence that these existed during the period. Like I said though, nobody will ever find that these came from the factories.

Me..personally..if I were to end up with this specific saber, i'd look inito how difficult it was to remove that stubby eagle. If it could be done with a minimally invasive technique, and a safe removal could be effected, I would do so. You would then have an honest ord. saber, and after some confirmation, a political eagle from something else, which you could then sell to another collector. Or, you could simply keep it and own it with the knowledge that it's a post-war embellished, "interesting" curio saber.
            T
            Last edited by SwordFish; 10-28-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I have seen one in Angolias book with an engraved eagle but never seen one with applied badge.

Comment

Yes, there are many examples of different "Roon" stylized hilts, handworked by a chizzler at the factory. Those are different, and were specific model sabers, offered by various manufacturers to meet the differing tastes off officers/NCOs.

Were there custom jobs done?? Yes. However, in my experience, i've seen custom jobs which related more to things like rehilting a Prussian '89 blade onto a NS era hilt, and of course, various personalizations/dedications completed either at the factory, or aftermarket by a jewler.

I don't want to digress into a whole different discussion...but yes there were some odd things that were done during the period, but this is not one of them.

T

Comment

One final note on stubby winged langet eagles on Heer sabers....yes, there were examples from manufacturers which included the stubby winged eagle cast integrally into the obverse langet. I own a number of examples. Were these political sabers or customs sabers??? I don't think so. Simply another option for the soldier who liked the look of the langet. Again though, the stylized stubby winged eagle were integrally cast into the langet direct from the manufacturer. I'm in the lav (isn't technology great??) and don't have immediate access to my collection..but if memory serves me, an example with a stylized stubby winged eagle came from Wingen.

T
                  Last edited by SwordFish; 10-28-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Swordfish is absolutly correct that this Ordnance Saber did not come from the factory with this eagle. These were items of issue from unit stores and this addition would not have been allowed by the Waffenmeister. The eagle is a postwar embellishment.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X