Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed

I need to clean my dagger blade, but I want to ask before I do some stupid things, what is the best thing for use on thise dagger to get it nice again ?
    I also look for a scabbard in deasent condition for this one .

Rolf
    Norway
    Attached Files

:-)

Attached Files

Comment

KM dagger

This was found in a Taxi in Oslo during the war, it was taken care of after when found by a woman , hang on the wall after the war and no ended up with me.
      Attached Files

Comment

If you want play hard, with those blades without crossgraining you can try a bit of Simichrome (BUT NOT ON THE ETCHED AREA) just to polish the blade, then cleaning 'the job' with water and neutral soap. Otherwise if you want a lighter treatment you can protect the whole with the Wax Renaissance.
        But If I was, with a dirty blade I'd use all the three steps...

Comment

Hei Rolf

I bealive your Navy dagger is a 1929 pattern reveals the small double -oval Carl Eickhorn squirrel trademark .
          They are produced beetween year 1933 - 1935.

The pommel is from the later Navy pattern 1938

If im wrong please correct me

------
          Cleaning ? Put some ligth oil at the blade only. Wipe off and let the dagger be as is.

God Helg.

LH

Comment

I agree with LH on cleaning. The blade has greyed which extends beneath the surface. Polish often only highlights the imperfections, and does little in the way of removing them, they are just too deep. I'd give it a light, mild cleaning and let it be. I've landed up regretting heavy polishing on stained or greyed blades myself in the past, it looks far worse IMO...

Red

Comment

Some good advice given by a couple knowledgeable guys!!
              Nice Taxi find!
              www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

These are usually plated blades... Renwax and Simichrome (the latter in very small doses) are the choices.

LH, I would be leery of using oil on the blade... it can penetrate under the plating and cause it to fall off the blade.

John

Comment

I agree completely with John. Any sort of abrasive on an etched blade is a risky thing, even in the hands of an expert. I'd suggest taking the dagger down & soaking the blade in some sudsy ammonia, drying it thoroughly & leaving it well enough alone. As the others have said, sometimes conservation measures can make a blade look worse so "less is more". Nice piece either way & a super acquisition story.

Comment

Help needed

Thank's for a lot of good advices, I will leave it as is and just put a litle gun oil on the blade.
                    But I need a scabbard for it ... anyone ?

Rolf

Comment

I'd probably watch eBay, they do surface from time-to-time, there's also a seller there who sells dagger parts, his name and eBay ID is Ray Krans - rkransverizonnet

Good luck, Red

Comment

Also never,ever touch the blade with bare hands,your fingers can leave an acid on the blade which after a while can leave an imprint of your fingerprints which you cannot remove.

Comment

Originally posted by kompani-linge View Post
                          Thank's for a lot of good advices, I will leave it as is and just put a litle gun oil on the blade.
                          But I need a scabbard for it ... anyone ?

Rolf
                          Rolf
                          Renwax er bra for klinger. Ultratynn "hinne" som beskytter for rust og fingermerker mm.
                          Dolken din er en oppgradert 1 modell KM .

LH

Comment

At some point down the road, you will probably regret using "gun oil" on your blade. Proper storage conditions will serve you far better than oil.
                            Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X