Original or repo German Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve-

Congratulations. You did well for the price. As you know, your saber is produced by the Horster firm. The obverse and reverse langets scream Horster with their very distinctive "Z" shaped side indentions, level to the eagles feet.

The sword is naturally brass, as is the grip wire. I would venture a guess this was an earlier Horster produced piece. I cannot ascertain from the various photos if this sword ever had gold colored gilting to the hilt. It's possible it was produced with a pollished brass hilt. The photos are somewhat deceiving. As you can see, the hilt has been pollished up a bit by someone, hence the shiny high relief areas of the lions mane. Perhaps if someone has a scan of the Horster firms sales catalog, they can get you a model number for your records. I don't have one at this time.

Search throught the "edged weapons" section to find various other Heer sabers to us as a reference to tie the knot correctly around the hilt.

Good score,
    Tom

Comment

Steve,

Sweet sword and a excellent price paid. I love the Horster models. I have the silvered version of the exact same model as yours. I love the feline features of the hilt on this particular model. You can find pictures of the silvered model in Whittmanns SS bible on page 317. And Johnsons German Swords book volume 2 pages 473-474. Enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by DBaker View Post
        Steve,

Sweet sword and a excellent price paid. I love the Horster models. I have the silvered version of the exact same model as yours. I love the feline features of the hilt on this particular model. You can find pictures of the silvered model in Whittmanns SS bible on page 317. And Johnsons German Swords book volume 2 pages 473-474. Enjoy...
        Thank you! My wife is hounding me to sell it but if I can keep it hanging on the wall for 3 more days, it becomes a keeper. I tell her I am still researching it but cannot find any info about it on value. What she does not know is that I am not trying

Since I now have more than 5 swords, I collect them.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/o...Image002-1.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X