SA Marine Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Marine Dagger

Good evening fellows. I recently picked up a Dagger from a Vet family. Very good looking finish. Does this look to be an SA Marine Dagger?
    Attached Files

Overall picture
    Attached Files

Comment

Eagle insignia - Note what looks to be a gold wash in the lower relief areas.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dave
        The marine SA had a black grip and scabbard with a gilt/copper finish i think you have a nice dagger with a nicotine patina which in its self a lot of collectors like , the tip has been broken off , who is the maker?

cheers steve

Comment

Is the maker AWS? Looks like it has a chance. In one photo the color of the crossguard looks like nicotine, the other gold.

You can see by my Avatar that I have used for 8 years here on WAF, I am a fan of the gilt SA's. Mine is gilt on the ring, the dome screws, the snout of the hanger etc. I would get mine out for comparison, but it is safely stored in a bank as one of the few daggers left in my collection. Here is an old photo of my eagle.

However, SA marine dagger is a bit of misnomer and not clearly defined. I tend to believe they are special ordered for a particular Gau and not issue items for the marine SA. I saw one other like mine 9 years ago and it was AWS maker marked from same Gau, supporting a special order request.

I believe this type of dagger more than the dozens one sees at MAX or SOS with the bright "gold wash" that could have been done last week (IMO).
          Attached Files
          Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Steve,
            It is my understanding that the SA Marine also came in a standard type SA Dagger with gold wash fittings. The maker is Ed Wusthof.

Comment

I believe there are 2 types of SA daggers associated with the SA Marine units. The earlier ones had the grips & brown anodized scabbards that were period painted black. The later ones had gilt washed crossguards & scabbard fittings like Jeff's. There's a lot of speculation as to which if either is proper, some collectors are skeptical of any so called Marine SA piece.

The piece pictured looks like nicotine patination IMO. Can we see a shot of the underside of the crossguards?

Comment

Here's a look of the underneath of the crossguard.
                Attached Files

Comment

Area under the dome
                  Attached Files

Comment

another shot
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Billy - Good to hear from you.

From that photo, looks more like nicotine IMO, nice dagger either way.
                      Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Vet "Nicotine Den Dagger" a Classic example.

-wagner-

Comment

Hey Jeff,

Good to see you too. What are you collecting now?

As far as this nice SA goes, a beautiful piece but I think we're definitely all on the same page here Goes to show you what you learn, I bought a beautiful NSKK when I was new to collecting. I thought it was a Marine SA but it turned out to be like this one, nicotined to death. What a tool I was, I cleaned it.

Comment

Hi guys.

Thanks much for your opinions. I am not familiar with the term Nicotine Dagger. Can you elaborate on the term?

Comment

Originally posted by ww2germanhelmet View Post
                              Hi guys.

Thanks much for your opinions. I am not familiar with the term Nicotine Dagger. Can you elaborate on the term?
                              Hi Dave, the term simply means that the dagger has been acceptable to cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke over the years, and thats why its covered in nictotine gunk. I personally dont like sticky grime covering my edged weapons, but each to their own!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X