Sword help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword help please

Hi Guys. A friend at work has a German sword that he would like to I.D and value, can any of you help please? The blade has been broken and repaired rather crudely, the scarbard is rusty and it has been stored in the attic for over 25 years. We would appreciate the following information: What sword is it?, What is it worth?, Can it be restored and at what cost?, and who in the U.K. would do it?

Many thanks David.

David,

Your friend's sword is a rather scarce Herder Nr.1017 Army Officer sword. Frankly, the current condition of the sword really damages its value. Restoration of the blade would be expensive and I don't know who in England might be able to do a decent job. My guess is that someone might pay $400-$500 for the sword in its current conditon to use as a place filler until they could get a better conditioned example.

Comment

Leave it as it is..perhaps clean it up a bit to brighten the hilt. I'm with Schupo. It's going to be a labor intensive and possibly expensive proposition to repair the piece. It is salvageable, but will requires some skill, and a gentle hand, along with some $$.

You may actually be surprised how much a lite hand washing with a sudsy amonia may do to clean up the hilt I must say.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X