Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lions Head Eichhorn Sword Info

Hey Guy's:

Can you give me specifics on this sword as far as type and potential value. I am cataloging my swords. Not thinking of selling, just want opinions and submitting for viewing.

Thanks, Rich

Eichhorn Lion Head

View 1
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

View
        Attached Files

Comment

Lionhead

view 3
          Attached Files

Comment

Lionhead

View 4

Comment

Lionhead

View 5
              Attached Files

Comment

Lionhead

Another view
                Attached Files

Comment

Rich,
                  Eickhorn example Nr. 1706 Scharnhorst in the Field Marshall line.

Nice conditioned example. Appears to be a brass hilted example, retaining what appears to be nearly all her gilting. I'm surprised the reverse of the blade below the langet is not stamped with the TM.

Comment

Gilting looks very nice on it, scharnhost is a good looking model in the field marshall series.
                    Got to be at least around the £400/£500 mark.
                    I have a similar conditioned Bulcher from the fm series and i paid just under £400 if i remember right
                    Hope that helps

regards Luke

Comment

It would be self-serving for me to agree with the value asessment since I own various Scharn. examples. However, in the interest of collectors, I would respectfully disagree with that valuation. Based on current market conditions, the total number of specimines produced and currently still in collector circulation, I believe the value to be less. A value of 450 GPB would squarly place the value at $743 USD. Perhaps this is what a dealer would demand (and unlikely get mind you) for this specimine, but realisticly, even at the markets pinacle last year, I believe a regular seller would be hard pressed to sell this example at that mark...unless the piece is extraordinarily nice, and completed with original knot, and hanger. It would be very difficult for someone to close a deal at that figure in a collector to collector sale. As far as Rich's saber goes, certainly it's a very nice example retaining quite a bit of gilting...one to be proud of. However, taking into account the state of collecting, current demand and market conditions, I think a conservative estimate would be in the $425-$450 range, or on the liberal side maybe $475-$525. The market will swing around, and as the years slip by, I would imagine the value will increase incrementally, unless of course there is some sweeping change in the tastes, desires, and demand within the collecting community.

Just my humble opinion. Rich, I responded to your emails regarding the other pieces. The photos didn't come through to well but I think you'll get the jist of it.

I've included an image of the finest conditioned and complete Scharnhorst i've ever owned. This one came with the less often seen 3 strand material knot, and complete hanger. It rates mint all the way around and came right out of the woodwork a few years back. Again, in my experience, the finest Scharnhorst i've ever handled (excluding etched, presentation pieces). My apolog. for the photo illustrating the example in a sea of swords. For clarification, it's the example on the top row in the forward saber stand.
                      Tom
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SwordFish; 09-17-2009, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for respectfully disagreeing with my valuation
                        Guess i just think these sabers are undervalued by collectors imho
                        I allways enjoy seeing pics of your sabers swordfish.
                        Mine are all stored away as my daughter is learning to walk at the
                        moment and i dont have a spare room

Happy collecting

Luke

Comment

Thank you very Much Guy's

My thanks to Luke and Tom for their in depth opinion. I am keeping this sword as it is one of the very first pieces I bought almost 35 years ago. I am cataloging for my grandkids and son. Thanks again for the value as well. I am printing off your comments for my project.

I am glad you all enjoyed seeing it and Swordfish, you have a wonderful sword there. I believe I paid 75.00 for this Eichhorn. I wish those days were here again.

Comment

Luke,
                            My friend, I would agree that swords ARE undervalued. My valuation is simply based on what I see in the market. I follow the trends as it pertains to Heer sabers pretty closely...too closely..almost obsessively. My valuations are not based off the actual intrinsic value of the piece....I think we can all agree that based on the materials, workmanship, labor and swordsmithing that went into Heer dress sabels producation by far outweigh the value of what was involved with dagger production...like one of the Lego set daggers such as a 2nd pattern Luft or Heer. The process of manufacturing was a labor intensive venture and subject to the market prices of the various metals used in production..nickel plating, brass for hilting, and so on. Even more so when we come across non-cast examples, like the Roon pattern sabers. These "engraved" pieces required the work and skill of a swordsmith to painstakingly chizel the langets, backstrap/pommel assembly, P-guard and so forth. With that in mind, the swords should have a respective value much higher than what we see. Way back when...the prices were comenserate with the labor and material cost and was passed onto the consumer, in this case the purchasing soldier. I came accross a Klaas pattern 232 who's hand work looked like it had been done by my 3 year old niece. Yet in 1938 at market, i'm sure it sold for more than one of it's cast siblings. Obviously, in this case, the swordsmith was either a rookie, had no artistic skill, or was 125 years old and needed new quad-focals .

So I am absolutely in agreeance with you Luke. But, the reality of market conditions, supply and demand of vairous pattern sabers, and naturally in concert with condition we come up with a value. The crumbly cliche of "a piece is only worth what one is willing to pay" holds firmly true as applied to this sort of "niche" market. We are after all talking about a mass produced, cast hilt Eickhorn saber as opposed to a hand worked Pumawerk.

I'm afterall a sword guy...a boring Heer saber collecting cat. Certainly it would be in my interest to "fib" and talk up what the "value" is publicly...sort of like manipulating the market. For me, I can't do this. It's dishonest, and certainly IMHO not in the interest of the hobby and the interest of collectors. Dealers..although some are friends of mine, i'm not here to promote them or look out for their financial interests.

Tom

Man...i'm just about typed out...I think i'm getting carpal tunnel
                            Last edited by SwordFish; 09-17-2009, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X