Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etched Bayonet Query

Hi,
    in my travels I have been offered an etched bayonet the owner does not know anything about the item except it belonged to a family member. The go between provided the owners phone number and some photocopies/ computer printouts whatever of the bayonet. Anyhow the blade has a sellers name in lieu of a makers mark Im not too worried about that the etch is what I would be asking about. From what I have provided is it worth paying a visit to see/buy the bayonet. I imagine they would expect at least $200AU or more.
    cheers Robert
    Attached Files

Dress Bayonet

Attached Files

Comment

Dress Bayonet

The photographs are poor I know but they are all I have with which to reach a decision.
      Attached Files

Comment

Dress Bayonet

Attached Files

Comment

Dress Bayonet

'''
          Attached Files

Comment

It LOOKS like a handsome undamaged dress bayonet - I've seen etched examples priced in the $400 - $500 ( U.S. dollars ) range. Are they worth that? IMO these are nice and pretty and I'd like to have one - BUT... Since they're not combat bayonets, I won't pay anything like that for one! You have to decide how much YOU want it; the price you mentioned probably would be "good" for what it is. ( Assuming of course there's NOT something wrong we can't see - and there probably isn't. ) It's at least worth a look "in person" if you think you like it.

Comment

Robert,

Picture 3, & to a lesser extent picture 1, show what looks like a damaged & glued bakelite grip plate. Redone grip plates on an etched bayonet can frequently be a sign that a postwar etched blade was attached to a period hilt. Even if the bayonet is completely period, a roughly cracked grip plate such as this appears to be will always seriously detract value & any future potential buyer's interest.

The pictures aren't really that good but I will say picture 1 looks to show an uneven top border as well as picture 3 & picture 4. If these uneven borders are present, this would be a major strike against the etched blade being period. Bayonets with etched blades were an extra cost option & even though German quality control was not perfect, I'd be inclined to say this piece wouldn't have passed muster. In totality, I'd say avoid this one. Just my opinion on what I see.

Comment

Billy,
                What's your opinion of this one?
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last one
                        Attached Files

Comment

nice bayonet. The blade is in great shape.

Comment

Bayonet

reddick out of texas sold a lot of these one sided bayonets in the early 1990s . they were well made copys . there were some with stag grips and some with plastice also . they had a leather washer on them to. looks to mint .

Comment

Denny,

Your piece looks to be OK, at least from the pics. Is the top border completely straight? Is the fleur de lis complete or partially unformed? All 3 should be pretty much identical.

The first think I noticed about Robert's bayonet was the obviously cracked grip plate which whether it's a red flag or not, it's quite unsightly. But as you know, when thinking whether a piece has been rehilted a cracked grip is often a sure sign of a poor job. Robert's pics are "off" somewhat so it's tough to tell but even taking that into account, it seems that the borders are wavy for lack of a better word. Your piece doesn't seem to exhibit that same telltale sign.

I have heard of the Reddick fakes but don't know that I've seen one up close. Just an opinion but I don't think the piece Robert inquired about it that good. Whether yours is a Reddick, can't tell but I'm thinking it's a legit piece. BTW I've seen this distributor on Eick products before.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X