SA - No maker mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA - No maker mark

Am considering putting up one of my prized possessions for sale, if I don't get booted from the forum first - An SA dagger with no maker mark.
    These are so unheard of that there are bound to be questions on the estand, so I figure lets get them out of the way right now ,,, So any opinions appreciated.

Bought this a few years ago from a gentleman well known in the dagger community.
    Was a bit nicotined when I got it, has no doubt increased since I've had it.
    There was at least 1 thread about unmarked SA's in the past here, one of which I participated in by posting my example, but I can't seem to find it.

Pics here not exactly comprehensive or professional looking, if I decide to sell I'll put better ones up, but they should suffice for the purpose of this thread.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Xray; 08-25-2009, 07:22 PM.

zdgd
    Attached Files

Comment

aga
      Attached Files

Comment

zdg
        Attached Files

Comment

ssgh
          Attached Files

Comment

Not really "unheard of" IMO.
            they do come up.
            Original early dagger.

Why unmarked? - Can't say, doubt anyone knows for certain.

-wagner-

Comment

True, "unheard of" is not the correct phrase.
              "Very uncommon" would have been better.

Comment

And oh wags, I think I might owe you $40 - You from Europe ?

Comment

It's not unheard of for factory ground Rohm daggers to have the maker's mark removed as well as the inscription. Certainly one explanation.
                  Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Larry, look at the cross grain right where the makers mark would be.
                    May not be the best pics to judge, but there is full cross graining throughout the blade and, even under magnification, no evidence at all of grinding.

Comment

Just found the original description this well known gent used in the ad when I bought it, I'll throw it up here for what its worth.
                      ps - Anyone wants to know his name just pm me, not much for dropping names.

Here is a very rare untouched, uncleaned woodwork piece. Now you will look a long, long, long, long time before you ever see another one of these. Not only is the blade unmarked but there is no Gau stamp either and there never was one. I have no explanation for this but know it is almost never seen.
                      All nickel silver fittings. All are patinaed to a yellow to a dark brown. Photos don't really show how dark it is.
                      Scabbard anodizing is turning a bit thin and does have dark spots but no dents.
                      Lower ball has a hit but not that bad.
                      Grip is a real beauty with very nice wood grain showing beneath the grunge. Nickel silver grip eagle is yellow and minty. SA runic button has a small scrape to the enamel but again, not bad. No cracks flakes or chips.
                      Blade is a pristine mirrored beauty with all cross grain and a needle point. All the motto burnish is still there. Grades EX+++.
                      Overall uncleaned EX++
                      A fine untouched dagger and missing from most SA collections, even the advanced ones.

Comment

Doug, do you have a good pic of the motto? this looks a lot like an early Pack judging from the grip, upper scabbard fitting and the little I can see of the motto. If it was a Rohm, and went back to the factory for inscription removal, the grind and re-crossgrain would be perfect, thus not detectable at all. Also, some Rohm daggers are also known not to have the Gau stamp. Very nice dagger BTW...

Red

Comment

Here are some motto pics, taken by the guy I bought it from.
                          I think the lighting he used exaggerates details, that or they were enhanced. Motto does not appear so black with the naked eye.
                          You can see, comparing the sets of pics, the scabbard almost looks black in his pics, when it fact it is of course average SA brown.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Xray; 08-26-2009, 02:13 AM.

Comment

sdg
                            Attached Files

Comment

cbxc
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X