Etched Sawback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etched Sawback

Okay had this for some time. Nicely etched on both sides with stag handles. From the etching appears to be pre Nazi if not pre Weimar what are your feelings. Scabbard is a repaint but blade is nice teeth untouched/ never sharpened. Catch is not functional nor intended to be though does have a mortise so could be attached to a rifle. I kind of like it but is only gathering dust in storage. What would be a realistic value if I was to sell.
    cheers Robert
    Attached Files

Sawback

part of the blade. There are no maker markings anywhere.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sawback

Attached Files

Comment

Sawback

Attached Files

Comment

Sawback

the grips, rivits not screws hold them on.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sawback

'''
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello, when real, it could be a early post WW1 parade piece, the scabbard is probably austrian or belgian and not correct. You should look for stamping on frog stud. best regards,Andy

Comment

The etched is strange for me, but the bayonet looks like as IWW or post. Hey Andy, did you see already one etched with this motif?
                Regards,
                Schmidt

Comment

Etched Sawback

Guys, no markings on frog stud, possible the paint may have covered them. The scabbard fits the blade so if its incorrect must have been modified. Normal scabbards wont accomodate the sawback teeth. Have any of you seen similar examples?
                  cheers Robert

Comment

Hello , i dont have a belgian scabbard to compare, but as i see there 2 screws on mouth piece, is more possible that it was upgraded for this sawback bayonet. Austrian scabbards have a riveted mouth piece.best regards,Andy
                    I believe i saw similar etch but the motto is little problematic? i dont see the full inscription, but the metall pommel KS98 is ok for early Weimar piece. How many doubble teeth have You there?

Comment

teeth

Andy,
                      33 teeth all in, 16 pairs and 1 spare? I thought Kurzes bayonets were often made and purchased privately and blades and teeth numbers varied. Is that your understanding.I like my sawbacks and have several.
                      cheers Robert

Comment

Thanks for details, SG84/98 have 28,29 teeths when i am correct,yes on dress pieces could be the number of teeths various. best regards.Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X