Damascus Grosser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damascus Grosser

Its a Saxon Sword....Named to Kings Heavy rider Regiment.Hilt is the Period service hilt,it was fitted to the Damascus blade late maybe in the Late teens upon the presentation at that time the scabbard was made and fitted to this sword ONLY.I may Bring this to the Wisconsin show in August.

Tom,

That's a super looking sword, quite unique. A shame there isn't a name or monogram that might assist in identifying the original owner. Musy have had some coin though, I'm sure this wasn't a cheap piece to make.

Comment

Grosser sword

Thats one heck of a sword!! Scabbard is just as cool as the blade!! GREAT score.

Comment

Sorry, but in my opinion only the hilt is period.
        The scabbard and the blade have been made and added very recently.
        You see more and more of these engraved scabbards added to Imperial pieces. The real quality is not there and you see no wear at all, just look at the ring of the scabbard.

Best regards,

Victorman

Comment

An interesting looking sword. You say the sword was rehilted around the end of WWI? It gives the appearance of a Saxon Interium Sword but with a brass scabbard.

Does the knuckle guard have the crowned Saxon coat of arms like the blade? Who made the sword or the blade? Does the oversize scabbard have one suspension ring? Is ther something painted over the blue on the blade or is the ground applied over the blue?

Comment

I appreciate the response but It is entirely Period manufacture and Not a recent mock up.Have had a friend with superior knowledge of Damascus look at it and what your seeing is Lacquer (original) and it was applied to protect the gilding,Bluing and vulnerable Damascus steel.

It is a 2 ring scabbard,It is marked Eisenhauer and Damastahl and there are some Possible retailers name at the Ricasso but its Buried,I will check tonight and see if I can make it out.

Comment

Sorry to tell you but, the scabbard and the blade etch for sure is not period.... Over the last 5 years from time to time I have seen swords being sold on e-bay Just like this from the same vender... Matter of fact I'm sure this sword was the one on e-bay . Sorry but these are the cold hard facts here.. Yes it is a damascus blade, and the hilt is period , but that is all that is original.... The etch is wrong , the gold color is wrong, and the scabbard is very modern.... FYI I saw two heavy rider reg. swords at the MAX in damascus that were not period etched blades...Sorry but these are the true facts .....I have personally seen this style scabbard in two different factories in Solingen. It goes on a sword for Arabic nations... and also on a south American presentation sword..bogus Imperial swords have been turning up more and more as the $$$$ have been going up.. What WI. show will you be at???? Regards: James
              Last edited by DAMAST; 07-18-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

James

This did come off ebay and you saw this at the Max.Where have you seen another....did you examine it at the max? Because a freind brought it with and it was at his Table.

TOM

Comment

There was two other heavy rider swords at the max with the lion head three branch hilt with damascus blades but they had modern etchings on them. The dealer was from Germany. They have been reproducing Imperial swords , I have some original Imperial swords that are in very good shape and there is a night and day difference..
                      Last edited by DAMAST; 07-18-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

James

I respect your thougts as with the name DAMST You know of which you speak : )

.This piece has AG Thule or Thiele in the Ricasso down at the very end and is well hidden beneath the langets.Also I would agree that this MAY have a Later then normal scabbard...Even for imperial German its too Pimpy looking,it was Hand fit to the Blade and the Throat opening fits the rod back well.

Can Anyone provide pics of the other swords?...If not any specific info would be nice to compare.

Also my friend had this with him at the SOS and Not the Max...sorry for that.

Comment

Tom,

I am afraid that I have to agree with Victorman and Damast on your sword. I believe it is at least a made up sword from what I can see in the photographs. I also think it came out of Germany recently.

I think I recall seeing the two swords that James mentions at SOS and I did not like them either. I don't remember seeing your sword there, although I looked at a lot of swords and they tend to blurr together at this point. I have seen more dodgy Imperial German swords in the last couple of years than ever before and most of them high end oddly etched pieces like this.

It is unfortunate when we get taken on a ride on these fakes but it is a learning experience if you can take it in that manner. It can be an expensive lesson but we can all learn from one another's mistakes.

George

Comment

Well I am not giving up yet,I would like to see pics if anyone took them of the other pieces,so far nothing.I have seen Fake Damascus and this is not Junk by any stretch.Any one have Pics of postwar Fake Imperials?

Comment

I'm sorry ,the prove is pictured above already. When I'm at a show I don't pull out a camera and take pictures of bogus swords.. To be frank your sword would have been one of the pictures. There is a lot of people (playing ) around with swords and daggers making a purse out of a sows ear is what is going on here. Through years of collecting this stuff and many trips to Germany, (seeing what is going on) it is EASY to see this is a put together sword.. . Go to the MAX and you will see in pictures a pile of etching plates still being used in Germany(the pictures will be in a seminar.. )
                              I have sold some nice Imperial swords on e-bay but, sometimes it is a dumping grounds also. Please, I and others are on the mark here.. Hilt is old, blade is old, the scabbard is modern, and the etch is modern.. What show in WI. Will you be at?? I might be there and I can show you the differences ..
                              Regards: James
                              Last edited by DAMAST; 07-19-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X