Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Bayonet ID

Hi All

I have a WW1 Bayonet I would like information on. It is a Sawback in good condition with no markings other than the proof on the Pommel and a 266 on the press stud. Any information would be appreciated. The scabbard is in excellent condition with most of it's finnish intact. What is a value range for this item? How rare is this bayonet? Thanks in advance for your information.

Thanks
    Charlie

You have a S98/05 (S) bayonet. Not uncommon but it would normally have a maker on the ricasso of the blade and an inspection stamp and date on the back of the blade.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I looked very close. There is no date or markings at all. The scabbard is also completely unmarked... It does not appear that the blade has had any grinding or filing to remove the date, etc?
      Charlie

Comment

I read in the book "the German Bayonet" by Hohn Walter that these bayonets may be unmarked. Is that common? Do these have much collector Value?

Thanks
        Charlie

Comment

Charlie,

It is possible that they can be unmarked but that is unusual, particularly with one inspection stamp on the pommel and none on the blade or other parts. Perhaps assembled from mixed parts for private purchase as an Extra-Seitengewehr? The scabbards are typically unmarked except for an inspection cypher but you indicate there is not one on the scabbard either.

These bayonets have been reproduced but yours does not look like any of the repops that I have seen. The sawbacks are collectable.

Comment

Thanks for the responce. Where would the proof mark be on the scabbard? Can you give me an idea of what the value is for this bayonet?

thanks
            charlie

Comment

Look on the top of the scabbard throat and on the ball of the scabbard at the bottom for a crowned Fraktur letter. I am not certain how much a bayonet with no maker and only one military acceptance mark might be worth. I see standard sawback S98/05 sell for around $250-$300 in this condition. I believe one like yours would sell for less.

Comment

I appreciate the help. I looked at the scabbard again, and I believe I found the proof mark. It appears to be only partial. I have included a picture. Let me know what you think.

Charlie

Comment

It looks like a partial stamp that has been removed.

Comment

In this very soft market,if I were you , $175.00-$225.00 would be my asking price on this bayonet.

Comment

Thanks to all for the information.

Charlie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X