Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Near Mint K98 Bayonet "44"

A few days ago I was lucky to get my hand on this K98 bayonet,
    its in a great condition,matching numbers,marked "cof 44",wooden grip,nice leather frog,my guess is that this bayonet never was used,I hope you like it
    as much as I do.
    Cheers
    J.S
    Attached Files

K98 bayonets are beautiful collector items.
    Remember to grease or oil the steel on the K98 bayonets. A thin layer is enough. I have stored K98 bayonets this way for 10 years without problems.

Cheers.
    Peter Wiking
    Last edited by Peter Wiking; 11-29-2003, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Jorn:That is one mint bayonet, I never seen a late one with wood grips Bill V

Comment

I have a CVL 44 with wood grips, I also have a 44 cof with rose colored bakelite grips. Very nice find!

Comment

Very Nice, congratulations on the good find. Let me know when you get tired of owning this bayonet.

On the wood grips. My understanding is when lots were produced, entire large groupings were made in either bakelite or wood. One can track the groupings by the serial numbers.
          Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado
            Very Nice, congratulations on the good find. Let me know when you get tired of owning this bayonet.

On the wood grips. My understanding is when lots were produced, entire large groupings were made in either bakelite or wood. One can track the groupings by the serial numbers.
            Jorn what is the serial number on the bayonet? It is very very difficult to find such beautiful pieces like that in europe. Congrats!

Comment

Hi

The bayonet is marked "cof44",number "9826 P",let me know what you find out.
              Thanks
              J.S
              Originally posted by phosphateb
              Jorn what is the serial number on the bayonet? It is very very difficult to find such beautiful pieces like that in europe. Congrats!

Comment

Awesome looking bayo

My "cof44" bayonet also has the wood handles. It is numbered 3625.

While my blade is in the same condition as yours (full blueing, not sharpened), My handle area has a bit of surface rust on it and the shealth is mis-matched .

Comment

Originally posted by Jørn Schmidt
                  Hi

The bayonet is marked "cof44",number "9826 P",let me know what you find out.
                  Thanks
                  J.S
                  Jorn in 1944 the larger bayonet manufacturers such as COF and ASW used wood in mid 1944. As colorado has said these are tracked by serial number. However, other manufacturers only used wood during 1944. These manufacturers were JWH, CVL (not CUL) and AGV/PYY. The last serial number range in 1944 for COF was the Y block...no confirmed reports, as far as I am concerned, have shown COF producing bayonets in 1945. Now with that said as long as COF was producing stuff for the war effort, one should not be surprized when a 45 dated COF bayonet turns up!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X