Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Striped Portepee?

Hi,

I'm having trouble ID'ing this portepee. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks
    Attached Files

It's a fireman's bayonet knot

Best,
    Skip

Comment

Thanks Skip. I was reading on another forum that this style might be for a fireman connected to mining. I was wondering if there were any thoughts on this being for a fireman in a particular branch of service or just a variation of the more common style I have pictured on the right.

Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Tim,

Ron Weinand once believed these knots to be for mining firemen because he had a bayonet with this knot that was associated to such a fireman. I don't know if Ron still believes this association today as that was years ago. I have such a knot and I believe it is most probably just a manufacturer's variation made in cotten instead of wire thread but it is hard to say for certain today.

Comment

Mine Fire Personnel

The Mine Fire Personnel Bayonet Knot is NOT like the one on the right in that mine had a cloth strap, not leather like this one and the veteran I got the bayonet from had the man's Mine Official Sword also and got them out of the same house.
          The Knot shown MAY BE a Mine Official's Knot for Fire Control personnel, but I cannot say in this case.
          Ron Weinand

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I saw both the cloth strapped and leather strapped variations in the other post. I haven't seen many of either these (with the red stripes on the stem), do they turn up very often?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim L. View Post
              Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I saw both the cloth strapped and leather strapped variations in the other post. I haven't seen many of either these (with the red stripes on the stem), do they turn up very often?

No, the cloth knot variations are seldom seen although the one on the right is common.

Comment

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
                No, the cloth knot variations are seldom seen although the one on the right is common.

Hi SHUPO - I was just asking about the ones with the red stripes on the stems being uncommon. I added the picture of the "common style" on the right for comparison, but judging from your reply and Ron's, I think I may have just made things more confusing

Thanks again.

Comment

Tim,

I have 5 or 6 of the specific type knot you were referring to, the one on the left in your comparison pics. I've always considered it to be a variation of the standard Feuerwehr dress bayonet knot although anything's possible. I own examples of this knot with both a leather strap & cloth strap. This variation knot is not nearly as common as the standard knot but they are out there. By any chance, would this inquiry be in reference to the one on Eban?

Comment

Hi Billy,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this one was on ebay recently.

Comment

Tim,

I saw it too & almost bought it solely for the knot but just couldn't float another piece for sale.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                      X