Unknown sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown sword

I was wondering if someone could help me with this sword. I believe it's a French Calvary Saber but I not sure. Were these made in Germany for export? I believe from the pictures that the grip is made of Bakelite. If so wouldn't that date the sword to around the time between WWI and WWII? These are the only pictures I have of it. If someone could help me with value that would also be great.

Thanks
    Kenneth
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kenneth wolfe; 05-30-2009, 03:46 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi

No one can help me with this?

Kenneth

Comment

French officer Infanterie saber,pattern 1882.
                    In France value is around 150 euros, not much,and it's very difficult to sell one, too much easy to find !!!
                    Hope this helps.
                    Martin.

Comment

Hi

Thanks a million.

Kenneth

Comment

It is worth noting that this particular sword served as the pattern for the subsequent U.S. M.1902 "sword for all officers". Virtually ALL American swords and sabers were more-or-less direct copies of European originals, mainly British or especially French. The U.S. version changed the blade style to slightly curved, and with a carved horn grip. ( Later examples used Bakelite or cast alluminium for the grip. ) Prior to 1902, several different patterns for officers existed: infantry, cavalry, light artillery, and medical staff. By adopting this, only one sword was used "for all officers", regardless of rank or branch. Officially, this pattern is STILL regulation!

The blademark on this French original denotes its place of manufacture: Chatellerault. It was unnecessary for the French to import swords from Solingen/Germany, since they have a LONG tradition of manufacture at that place and earlier at Klingenthal. ( Not to say they DIDN'T import from Solingen - they sometimes DID; but it wasn't necessary. ) The finest examples for the nobility and officers in general were made at Versailles.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X