Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Officer's Bayonet Knots

Hi,

I have a few of questions I was hoping I could get answered. First, were Bavarian knots worn on bayonets much after WWI? I would imagine there were some worn by some Freikorps members, but what about after that? (I know these wer not specifically bayonet knots, but often worn on bayonets).

Secondly, I wanted to confirm the green knot was an officer's bayonet knot and not a sword Portepee. I've shown it next to an NCO knot for size comparison. It's about 3/4" longer, the ball is smaller, and the strap is narrower. If it's for a bayonet, what length bayonet would an officer have worn? The shorter "NCO" model or either length? Was this a generic Heer style in use dating back to Imperial times?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tim L.; 04-30-2009, 04:13 PM.

Close up of officer's Portepees.
    Attached Files

Comment

The leather strapped knot came with a TR eagle attached to it. I suspect it's a ribbon bar device. I have no idea how long it's been there, but I think it's pretty cool.
      Attached Files

Comment

Tim,

The Bavarian Officer Portepee was worn throughout the Weimar Republic and into the early NS Zeit as well. This same knot could be worn on either swords or bayonets by officers.

Your Heer Officer Portepee could be worn on either swords or bayonets by officers. They came in two sizes (small and large) and are a generic Army Einheits-Portepee. Typically the smaller knots (like yours) were worn on the bayonet or a sword with a small grip. The short KS98 bayonet was supposed to be worn by Officers and NCOs. Since they were private purchase and not items of issue they were not always worn as designed of course.

Comment

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply. I've never quite understood these Bavarian Portepees use after the early 1920's. What sort of organizations would have worn these on a bayonet during the Weimar and TR eras? Police? Reichwehr units based in Bavaria? Officers in the Reichswehr that served with Bavaria in Imperial times? or ...?

Comment

Tim,

Army (Reichswehr) and Police units continued to wear these state knots in Bavaria. There was also a provision that officers who served honorably in the World War could continue to wear their old swords and/or knots as an Einheits-Portepee (Traditions). I have a circa 1935 period photo of a Bavarian State Police Captain wearing this Bavarian Portepee on his KS98 bayonet.

George

Comment

Thanks George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
              X