Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Sword on estand

Gents,

I think we should discuss the Police NCO sword on estand.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=352370

I see several problems with this sword but I can't tell if it has just been heavily restored/modified or is a parts piece.

First red flag that I see is that it is a NCO sword with an Officer grip eagle. I suspect that it has been incorrectly restored as one can see where the previous eagle has been dug out of the grip and this one put in. Of course this is the wrong eagle, even if it is a poor restoration and not a parts sword. Second red flag is the poor detail on the oak leaves and acorns on the grip ferrule. This is not typical for a Krebbs in my experience. Perhaps over polished or a part from another maker? Finally, the plated blade looks incorrect. Most of these swords have polished blades and this one seems to have been overpolished, with rounded edges, and plated from the photo.

What do you think?

hi,
    as I´m the seller , I only want to say that you can feel free to discuss it.
    If there will be any problems with this item, only tell me and I will take it out from e-stand .
    See my posts, I´m no expert for edged weapons

cheers schmeisser

Comment

I'm no expert myself but for some reason this looks like it was an SS sword replaced with a Police eagle, which is unusal cause it's the other way around from what I always heard.
      Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Comment

Schmeisser, thanks for your understanding. No one wants to sell or buy something they misunderstand.

Joe, the grip cannot be from an SS sword. If it was from an SS-NCO sword it would have no insignia in the grip and would not require digging around in the wood to put a police eagle on it. A Police NCO eagle would be of a different shape and size than this one as well. The grip cannot be from either a Police Officer or SS-Officer sword (Degen) either as they would both have wire wrap and a metal piece down the back of the grip. There is no evidence of a groove for such a metal cover to the wire twists.

Comment

I simply clicked on the link without reading Georges concerns so as to be as independant as I could when looking at the pics. I then read through the points which were brought up, and one by one, my concerns were nearly identical to those George (Schupo) had pointed out.

Schmeisser, what's the history on the piece? As it relates to provinance, etc.? That may shed some light on what was done when. Also, some other detailed pics of the degen dissassembled would be good (if you're not comfortable with taking her down, by all means DO NOT DO IT). It's obvious this degen has been fiddled with; the question is to what degree?
          Last edited by SwordFish; 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

hey,
            unfortunately, there is no history to this item . I bought it privately in my region with a lot of other collection things .
            I took down the price to 550 euros now, so I think also in the case that the eagle would be repaired, replaced or anything ..the sword has still his value . Perhaps its better to give such item in an internet auction from 1 Euro where everyone can decide about his "personal" price.
            cheers schmeisser

Comment

HI Schmeisser,

When I said "take her down" I meant taking her apart to see what is what. Dissassembly can often give us a better idea of what has been to a specific piece. However, if you're a newer collector or are not comfortable with dissassembly, by all means do not do it.

What we see on the outside is not always a representative picture. With pieces that have been "messed with", a dissassembly can provide insight to what's on the inside of the piece.

Sorry for the confusion. I was worried that when I used the phrase "taking her down", it would be misinterpreted.

Good collecting,

Tom

Comment

hi Tom,
                no , don´t worry, I didn´t missunderstand you . I only thought that a price reduction would be ok and fair, if the sword is modified perhaps .

I really don´t want to dissassemble / to seperate the parts to risk any dammage or something .

For the moment even I think that nobody will buy it- it seems that a lot of collectors don´t spend much money for collecting stuff in these strange days and the prices continue to decrease

Comment

Hi Schmeisser,

I am with you. I don't reccommend nor advocate disassembly unless absolutely necceassriy. Unfortunately many pieces are destroyer accidentally by curious collectors.

The degen certainly has a value. There is nothing wrong with keeping it if there is not much interest in the piece right now. I've removed items from the for sale section because my piece wasn't generating any interest. I'm often content to just keep my item. When I do sell, it's typically to free up some funds to finance another toy purchase.

The market is funny right now and i've seen some strange things happen over the last 6 months. I had watched an Alcoso Nr. 119 Lion Head Saber sell on eBay for around $700..perhaps a bit more, or a bit less as I don't exactly recall. Anyway, this saber rated somewhere around a 5.5 or maybe 6 out of 10 in terms of conditon. It was not a personalized example, no scarce distributer markings, no etch, nothing. For one reason or another, it generated alot of interest on the auction site. I have no idea why. The same model saber could have been had in much better condition, for significantly less, even from some dealers. Perhaps it sold because there havy not been many German Heer sabers from the TR era on eBay lately and perhaps this caused people to swarm.

I had been watching a EM saber over the last couple of months on another auction site. I contacted the seller, explained that I was interested in his piece, however I would not pay his asking price due to the current market conditons. Since his sabers been for sale for many months, I would think that's a prett clear indicator he wants too much. Anyway, this guy responds in an email beasically yelling at me telling me he didn't "give a damn about the market or any of us on the forums because we don't know what we are talking about"...he also went onto say that he "didn't want me or anyone else from the forums bidding on his sword". This guy flipped out and he was pissed. It was actually funny to watch this moron flip out over this, and clearly he's out of touch with reality. I should post his response for comedy sake.

At anyrate, the market is funny right now and the market is defying rationality as we speak. As such, when selling a piece, various factors, including the state of the market need to be considered.

Anyway, good collecting,

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                  X