Dlv dagger leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dlv dagger leather

Hello friends,I have a DLV dagger in very good condition except for the leather on the handle and scabbard is beginning to get very dry (imagine after 60+years)and I was wondering if there is anything that a fellow collector of daggers would recomment to apply to the leather to help preserve this beautifull piece.
    thanks in advance
    Guill

use vaseline.

Comment

Be careful what you use on old Morroccan leather like found Lufts, Fliegerschwerts, DLVs, etc. The leather still requires the ability to breathe. Certain preservatives actually can cause accellerated degredation.

You may want to pose your question in the maint./preservation forum. I can tell you from my personal experience, that at this juncture in my collecting career, I don't treat grip or scabbard leather on thes various examples I mentioned above. I'm a huge fan of museum grade wax, however I would NOT advocate using it on this type of leather, or most leathers for that matter. I would never use petroleum jelly (Vasaline) on any antique leather. I would strenously advise against it. It's asking for problems with both long and mid term preservation. A tinnie made of zinc...that's one thing, a DLV piece with 70 year old Morroccan leather....well that's something totally different.

t

Comment

Indeed - I'd use nothing before I used Vasoline on any period leather (IMO).

Comment

I noticed you're from Colorado. Here in Europe we often have the impression that leather pieces which are stored for many decades in some parts of America always completely dry-out. Is it because of the heat? Or the airco ?
          I use to hear this from friends who brings stuff from the great militaria shows over there.

Regards, Theo
          (Wim Vangossum
          Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Sounds like the condition of hte leather is such that some measures are justified to prevent further, serious damage to the leather. If so, use navy blue Meltonian brand shoe cream. It will help preserve the leather and even out the color.

Best,
            Skip

PS - Meltonian also makes a dark green that works well with Land Customs and any hunting/forestry pieces with the green scabbards...

Comment

If You're going to put leather polish/creme > Don't use "Navy blue": it's not the original color > Meltonian makes PRUSSIAN Blue, & that's the original color on DLV, 1st Lufts, & Luft swords.

Comment

To treat leather: museums use a product called PECARDS Leather treatment. >>> Anyway, show Us some Photos!

Comment

dlv

Thanks all for the info on this subject ,all of you have been of great help!!
                  Guill

Comment

I use Pecards, vairous kinds. Pecards Antique, and regular Pecards. I typically limit the use to certain saber portepees that need treatment.

If I were to treat a DLV or 1st Luft scabbard, grip, etc., leather, I would probably avoid Pecards and actually use another product.

Preservation and maint. is always a ticky-tacky subject matter. No matter which posture one takes, there will always be dissent from others. Which is good....I encourage that. It forces people to study various meathods and then ascertain what they think will work best.

t

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,789 at 04:22 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X