How to tie portapee knot on sword???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tie portapee knot on sword???

Hello, Could someone explain to me or show some pictures of the steps it takes to attach a portapee knot to a Heer or army sword? Im at the SOS and so far the 5 or 6 people I have ask cant do it either????? Thank you in advance for any help on this difficult ( I guess) task!!!

Regards,

hdmarley

Dustin-

Here's a diagram of various knots.

This is curtousy of Orpo at GDC (Schupo here at WAF). If you look closely at the illustration on the far right side (the sword) you should be able to feel your way through it. Just be careful not to apply too much pressure or tug to forcefully or the knot may break. The leather knots (which are vastly more common) are very prone to breakage due to red leather rot, age, dryness, etc. Sometimes, they may require a degree of treatment if they are overly dry from age.

** Watermarked- testing image protection software

t
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SwordFish; 03-08-2009, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Below examples of 2 of my sabers illustrate the sabers with the portepees attached. There are some very minor, subtle differences you'll notice. I've done my best to provide and explanation.

t
      Last edited by SwordFish; 03-08-2009, 03:21 AM.

Comment

A side view. The obverse of the saber is on the left hand side (our left...being the viewer). Reverse, on the right side of the photo.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SwordFish; 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Again, if you work backward from where the acorn begins, and follow the pattern you'd use to remove the saber knot, you should be able to tie it correctly. Just heed the warnings I provided. Many knots are fragile. As such, dilligent care should be excercised while attaching them.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SwordFish; 03-08-2009, 03:45 PM.

Comment

The saber on the top of the stand, the Eickhorn, uses a material portepee, with 3 silver strands. This photo also illustrates how to wrap it correctly. The wrap around the distal end of the crossguard can go either over, or under during the wrap. Period photos show it wrapped both ways. (this is illustrated as seen in the photo- compare the panther head Eickhorn in front, and the dovehead Eickhorn in the back. Both pieces are housed on the top of thier respective stands. You'll note that the wrap around the distal end of the quillion on each saber is wrapped in a different manner. Over-under, or under-over. Both meathods are flearly illustrated per period photos). Note the red circles and red text in the photo with explanation.

Material knots are absolutely period pieces. They are encountered much less frequently than their leather counterparts.

Disregard the location of the slide. The saber came from the vet this way and I didn't feel the need to remove the portepee to merely adjust the slide.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by SwordFish; 03-08-2009, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Last one from me.

An Eickhorn Prinz Eugen with wider girthed, 3 silver strand wires. Configured on the end of the quillion with an under-over wrap.

I know i've seen an illustration of a step by step application of a knot. I don't have the image saved, nor could I find it on the net. Perhaps someone who has it will be kind enough to upload it for you.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SwordFish; 03-08-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Last edited by SwordFish; 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

knot

Thank you for the info in regards to attaching a knot! It was very helpful and i greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X