opinions on a first luff please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on a first luff please

If I can get some opinions on a first model luft dagger I would realy appreciate it. I have been hoping for one of these for a long time and the price is right on this one if it is OK
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vitts; 02-27-2009, 08:27 PM.

chain and clip

GES. GESCH on then clip along with a diamond with OLC in it
    Attached Files

Comment

grip a little scuffed up wire looks like double twisted and one single strand? gilding on the pommel and crossguard is very nice
      Attached Files

Comment

only bad spot on the blade is on the top 2 inches
        Attached Files

Comment

The dagger is original, a late example with aluminum fittings. The fittings seem to be in great shape as well. However it is missing one of the grip wires. The leather seems to be fair, with just a few worn spots? It is a little strange that the corroded portion on the blade ricasso ends in almost a straight line. Is the blade maker marked?

Comment

Sorry for the interuptiion

here is a pic of the maker mark E&F HORSTER
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the worst part of damage on scabbard
              Attached Files

Comment

Is the wire on grip supposed to be a triple strand twisted together or a double strand twisted witha single strand with it ?
                Attached Files

Comment

You are right about the strangeness of the blade damage being in a straight line like it is. It is like that on both sides. I thought it might have been done by the keepers in the scabbard? It is about the same length as the to fitting on the scabbard.

Comment

Yes, the grip wire should consist of the twisted wire flanked by a single wire on each side.

Comment

The wear patterns on the blade are the result of the scabbard runners. Over time, with the various elements in our environment which precipitate oxidation, storage without preservation will cause specifc spotting/discoloration in the various higher stress areas. Things like dirt, or other foreign bodies which become trapped on the runners, either from someone oiling the blade, hence attracting those objects, or from a damp environment attracting material/rust, removal from the scabbard will cause wear to those same pressure points. Certainly these mirrored, worn spots can be caused by an overzealous collector who got nutty with an abrassive cleaning agent. But I don't think that's the case with this specific example.

Nothing on this piece yells repro. Appears to be a later, aluminum fitted 1st model Horster. The Morroccan leather has some issues on the scabbard, and the aluminum wrapped grip wire is loose and appears to be missing a strand, but there doesn't appear to be any problems with originality.

JMHO. That's my story and i'm stickin' to it. Even if my $.02 is worth less than a Peso.
                      Last edited by SwordFish; 02-27-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the help asking price is $550 I think I am going to get it.

Comment

The condition could be better, but it should be worth the asking price in parts alone.

That said, if you're buying just one 1st Luft for your collection, you may want to hold out for a better example.

Best,
                          Skip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:29 PM on Today.

Working...
                          X