Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ Prade Bayonet

Hi,
    I would like your opinions on the HJ dress bayonet. I know that many collectors have mixed emotions regarding the authenticity of these items. Some claim them to be fantasy, others claim them to be authentic. I just bought one made by Klaas, it is in nice condition, but minus the diamond emblem. I did have a loose emblem, and figured I could use it for this bayonet. I would like to know if anyone has more information on these bayonets? I look forward to your responses.
    Mike
    Attached Files

bayonet

d
    Attached Files

Comment

dress

k
      Attached Files

Comment

hj

b
        Attached Files

Comment

are the grips the same size as hj knives? looking at the possibilty of making it from parts...

also where the diamond would sit, it looks hollow? On the hj's i have which are missing diamonds, the bakerlite has a slit for the prongs of the diamond, they dont appear to be the same, what method would they use to attach the diamond on this piece...?

i presume you could fit the blade to a hj hilt? a easy ish thing to do if your good with the rivets? the rivets look unmessed with, thats a good point.

The bakerlite grips, how do they fit, looks like it may be slightly too small towards the finger guard, ill fitting grips usually a bad sign.

No rzm marks so this would be an early item pre 36-38?

The temptation to take the grips off to look at any maker marks on the grip plates.. hehe

hopefully some questions to help get the discussion going.

Comment

HJ Bayonet

Hi,
            Thanks for your quick response. I'll be honest, you bring up some very solid points. I really won't know the answers until the bayonet actually arrives. I do believe the grips are the same size as the dagger, but of course, as in many German made wartime items, the tollerance could be off just enough for my theory to go south. That being said, this bayonet still interested me enough to give it a try.
            Mike

Comment

Upon initially seeing this piece on Eban, I felt it was a bayonet blade rehilted to an HJ knife pommel. There's a lot of things this could be & original is probably low on the list IMO.

Comment

Evilmike makes a point that is very hard to ignore.

Originally posted by evilmike View Post
                ............. what method would they use to attach the diamond on this piece...? i.
                When I look at the images, I seem to be seeing the tang through an open space with nothing that an emblem could attach to. Not something that would give me a comfortable feeling as to its not being fooled around with. FP

Comment

HJ bayonet

I appreciate everyone's input, and I guess the consensous of opinion is fantasy! I will have to wait until it arrives to see if my emblem will fit the grip. If it does, it will make a nice display piece. If not, I can chalk it up to another error in judgement.
                  Thanks everyone,
                  Mike

Comment

At the very least it appears to be period not post war parts, although someone would have cut away the base of where to diamond should sit, maybe some one fitted a hj pin badge in its place, that would have sat too high with the pin backing plate.... or it was hollowed to smuggle cyinide capsules...

Comment

or it was hollowed to smuggle cyinide capsules...
                      hehehahaheha good one mike

Comment

Scabbard

I believe the scabbard is from the WWI period as it has a plate below the frog stud on the obverse. This is only found on WWI and immediately post WWI scabbards. It is possible that this scabbard was on a trench knife of the WWI period. I believe Klaas did make some of these knives post WWI and this could be the source of the pieces.
                        JMO,
                        Ron Weinand

Comment

HJ Parade Bayonet

I received the bayonet today and added these additional photos. As you can see, the size of the grip is similar to the HJ dagger. The blade measures 71/2" in length and 1" in width. It is 11 3/4" overall. The diamond cut out on the grip is very clean. The rivets are tight and appear to be original, the hilt is solid as well. The scabbard is much smaller than any short issue bayonet I've seen. It could very well have been assembled from various parts, but I can't be sure. This still has me puzzled. I welcome your additional thoughts.
                          Mike
                          Attached Files

Comment

bayonet

h
                            Attached Files

Comment

hj

b
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X