Why are the Forestries so Undervalued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are the Forestries so Undervalued?

IMO the Forestry dagger or cutlass is the most beautiful TR blade. Yet I have to think they are undervalued & underappreciated when prices are compared with more common daggers. The prices of the better conditioned Army, Luftwaffe, SA and HJ daggers are moving to $1000 or even more. Yet you can still buy excellent condition Forestries for under $2000, some in the $1600 - $1800 range. Not complaining, just wish people would see what they are missing. Or maybe I shouldn't say anything & try to buy up all those beautiful blades.
    Last edited by BrianK; 01-06-2009, 10:56 PM. Reason: typo

For most collecters forestry is "civilian" and therefor perhaps not so much wanted. Another thing is there is no swastika on most examples and so not "forbidden". (Sorry, but this typical german!!!!)
    I love the forestry uniforms and daggers (Hirschfanger in german language) and I as well can not understand these different values.

Regards from Berlin
    Stefany

Comment

You are right there, they are more like works of art fantastic blades i need to get some for my collection

Comment

The price of any collectable is purely a a function of desirability. Rare items only become expensive if there is a demand. To me the forestry daggers are a lot more rare and beautyfull than the relatively common SS daggers. NSKK, TENO, Customs and many of the other daggers could be perceived to be under valued as well, given their scarcety.
        Some of the more uncommon forestry daggers do carry a fairly hefty price tag though.
        Wolfgang

Comment

Have you priced a REAL one with a swastika lately?? The absence of the swastika causes this dagger to be price depressed IMO.
          Ron Weinand

Comment

Last year I posted, in the estand, an original Forestry Officer's dagger with eagle and swastika. It was the correct dagger in gilt aluminum. There was no response. I was shocked and put the dagger back in the safe deposit box. Perhaps, some day, the rarity and price will come together.

Bob Hritz
            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

It can also be difficult to tell what time period they were made in.Many companies made them long befors and after the war.

Comment

The types, with eagle and swastika, are the easiest to identify as original or post-war.

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I believe there is an overlap from the Imperial to the TR period. There are differences in makers marks, etches and for Hunting Association daggers, the tang nuts. To me, the imperial daggers are just as nice, and in may cases even more desirable than the TR pieces. But as with all TR items, it is important to research before you buy.

Here is one of my favorites, brings a smile to my face everytime I handle it.
                  Wolfgang
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wolfgang,

What a beautiful piece with blue panels!

Can you give a little more info on this superb example?
                    The condition is fantastic.

-congrats!

Regards,
                    -wagner-

Comment

Wolfgang,

A very beautiful piece, many thanks for showing it. The item in the center of the crossguard is interesting, does this piece have a connection to Lippe?

Comment

Hi Wolfgang
                        Those are some beautifull pieces you have there!!!! Jay

Comment

Wow

Beauty indeed. What really gets my attention on this piece is the etching and coloring on the blade. Is there a chance you could post further pictures? The detail on the leaves and everything is exquisite.

JAN

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X