German sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German sword

I got this sword some time ago, do you think it´s ok ?

Looks fine to me

Best,
    Skip

Comment

Agree with Skip, a fine Holler sword which looks like a #30 or possibly a #42 in dovehead pattern...Jeff

Comment

Hello,
        for me the sword is OK
        sincèrely

Comment

Swords good. I would say a Nr. 42. The 30 utilizes both cast and engraved embellishments to the hilt.

Comment

Agree with the above analisis.

Comment

Has to be one of the UGLIEST birds I have seen : )

Comment

its good, i used to have one just like it regards, john.

Comment

You may want to consider giving the brass hilt assembly a very light cleaning with a homemade sudsy amonia. It will remove most of the dirt and brighten up any traces of gilt that's still intact as well as brightening up the brass. Afterwar, give the hilt assembly a very light coat of museum grade preservation wax like Renwax. For the blade, since it's plated, a very light and gentle pollish with Semichrome followed by a coat of museum wax will remove some trace rust and surface darkening and provide a layer of protection for the blade. You'd be amazed how well some of these Heer sabels clean up and it can be accomplished without any damage.

If interested in further details or methods, PM me and I can show some of my before and after images of Heer sabels i've reincarnated. These leather knots are also very susceptible to rot and cracking. There are methods for restoration and preservation, although it is a delicate procedure. Like the swords, i've been able to bring some seemingly dead knots back to life restoring their suppleness.

t

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X