No announcement yet.

Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* The topic really IMO revolves around a forced change in materials (caused by a shifting of resources to military production). With makers in Solingen having to make some decisions.

Not wishing to use paint, zinc electroplating over steel for the scabbards was an obvious choice. But what about the mottled appearance often seen with zinc as it ages? And what to do with the aluminum fittings? And the contrast in the appearance of the different metals? (With the gold plated swastikas probably being more of a side issue because not everyone used them.) Zinc phosphate was I think also an obvious choice, because it has an even relatively pleasing uniform matt gray finish.

But unless the natural colored aluminum was also treated - it creates a shaper contrast with the scabbard. Which was avoided for example with the SMF’s. And by polishing off the more pronounced exposed areas of the aluminum fittings, it prevents having an uneven appearance as the zinc layers are accidently removed by wear/use from the aluminum. With the zinc base layer providing a base to adhere to for the gold plated swastikas. (They almost certainly also used a masking agent as well, to keep unwanted plating out of areas they did not want plated).

As for the scabbard bands, where they plated in place or later installed? My sense of it without looking into it is later installed, as some of the pretreatments might have been injurious to steel. (Not necessarily a fact, just my best recollection at the moment.)

* As for TW’s letter. I don’t have any problem with silver plating or re-plating, being offered by some makers. That is a fact. Although my own sense of it is that some could have “farmed out” the work to subcontractors like they did for so many other things (including Eickhorn).

* As for the “gold” colored dagger scabbards (etc.) that is something I am currently looking at. At this instant in time I think that some “gold” colored scabbards and fittings might not be (metallic) gold. But treated with something like a zinc dichromate, as an additional step in corrosion protection.

Regards to All. FP

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Pumphrey View Post
      Gentlemen,
      I have in my collection an Eickhorn 2nd model Luftwaffe, that my father-in-law brought back, that has a GOLD finished scabbard. It came with a shortened hanger with gold hardware. I have shown it to other collectors over the 40 someodd years I have owned it and have never received a satisfactory reason for it. I had always thought that it might be a "generals" dagger?????? Any ideas? Thanks.
      Regards,
      Dick
      Hello Dick Pumphrey
      here is your dagger pics

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
        * As for the “gold” colored dagger scabbards (etc.) that is something I am currently looking at. At this instant in time I think that some “gold” colored scabbards and fittings might not be (metallic) gold. But treated with something like a zinc dichromate, as an additional step in corrosion protection.

Regards to All. FP

Hi Frogprince.
        Many thanks for all you have written in the tread .

I have the same opinions as you . I have observed several Eicks treated with some minor "goldfinish" .
        Back to the Paul Weyersberg with silver finish , i mean this is period and 100 % orginal to the dagger scabbard.

If other members have the same type of scabbards in collection , please post some pics here

Comment

In looking at Tom's book, it doesn't appear to be a purchase option, but the silvering appears to be an "after market" addition.
          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Thank you!

Hi LH 600,
            Thanks for helping with the photos. It is very much appreciated!
            Best Regards,
            Dick

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Lipps View Post
              In looking at Tom's book, it doesn't appear to be a purchase option, but the silvering appears to be an "after market" addition.
              I dont think so Larry

I have speak with several deales and collectors and all mean this is period silvering,but just not offered from the factory ? If not i trow this dagger scabbard into the river
              Last edited by LH 600; 12-20-2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Pumphrey View Post
                Hi LH 600,
                Thanks for helping with the photos. It is very much appreciated!
                Best Regards,
                Dick

You welcome

Comment

Gold finish

Gentlemen,
                  As an after thought - Whitman's book, page 251 DOES list "double gold plating for accessories". Unless I am totally wrong, scabbards should be considered an accessory. The finish on my scabbard and the hanger rings is very bright and does not tarnish like brass. The white residue is from a quality silver polish I had used years ago to clean it - not polish the finish. Sorry but I failed to notice this and did clean it off with a very soft old toothbrush after these photos were taken. Hope that this is some useful info. Thanks for looking.
                  Regards,
                  Dick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X