X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Sword Prinz Eugen

http://www.tradera.com/Tysk_VK2_SS_o...ktion-79470319

Hello.

Can anyone tell me what kind of sword that is? is there any article about those swords that i can read about?

And no, im not gonna buy it , i cant afford 10.000 euros

Regards

Daniel

The connection behind the SS and the PE by Eickhorn is a hotly and contentious area of discussion these days. To the best of my knowledge, there is only 1 period image of an SS man wearing a PE saber. Beyond this, and a few supposed vet finds with SS degen portepees, little data exists that suggest a connection between the 2. Some peopel like to draw a nexis between the Prinz Eugene division and the Prinz Eugen saber.....hmmm not quite.

I wouldn't even consider this example. I would want period photos, sworn statements from both the German vet and liberator (if one exists), provenance to support the provenance and a detailed sales invoice detailing the specifications of the piece. In short, you won't find these.....

Comment

Daniel, I think SwordFish has posted some good advice.

For a 10,000 euro saber I would have hoped for some much better images. With the more important areas being fuzzy/indistinct, and only one relatively non important image even being halfway decent (IMO). On a 10,000 euro “investment”.

Fortunately I had another image when I think this specific saber might have been discussed earlier. I don’t remember what I thought of it then. But assuming it is the same saber - in comparing them together it looks to like an appliqué might have have been affixed to the langet. That’s not the only area of concern, but I think would probably be a good place to start. Regards, FP

Comment

Thanks for replies.

So basically finding a original sword like that is as easy as winning 100 milions on lottery?

Daniel.

Comment

Legitimate SS sabers are I think harder to find than the SS-Führerdegens. But I think the odds are probably much better than winning millions in a lottery. Although (like with so many other things) you may have to wait until the right one becomes available for sale.

Keeping in mind that over the years a great deal of creativity has gone into making swords (daggers, and bayonets) to try and fool the collecting public. Which sometimes succeed, and even on a few occasions have have made it into books on the subject. So what looks good the first time you see it in a few internet images - upon closer examination could turn out to be a waste of money.

PS: Fakes range from relatively elaborate so-called “presentation” SS-Führerdegens made from parts, to silver hilted “SS” sabers that turn out to be late zinc hilted sabers (painted with an aluminum based paint ).

With both originals and fakes existing side by side. But with the fakes usually ‘miraculously’ disappearing from sight once they are seriously questioned. FP

Comment

Keep in mind that the Prinz Eugen, as well as all the others in Eickhorn's Field Marshall series, were offfered in the firm's catalogs as Army sabers.

Any of them encountered with an SS knot should be viewed with caution and purchased for little - if any - more than the value of the saber and knot in and of themselves.

Best,
            Skip

Comment

Keep in mind that the Prinz Eugen, as well as all the others in Eickhorn's Field Marshall series, were offfered in the firm's catalogs as Army sabers.
              An excellent point which is many times “conveniently” forgotten by those trying to sell the standard saber at an inflated (and often grossly inflated) price. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X