SS miniature dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
    While most of what we see as postwar fakes are full size, that does not mean that the “collector’s market” for miniatures has been neglected either. The only difference that I have noticed is that some are made a little better than than others, with the caveat that better quality does not necessarily confer legitimacy.

Where I have a problem with 'SS dagger miniatures' in general is this: Original period miniatures were usually made as salesman’s samples. The SS daggers were not for sale to the general public. So who would be a customer for a miniature SS dagger?? FP
    Frog prinze, my theory is, that if they were ever TR era produced, that there was a market as proper toys for young boys with SS fathers. It just makes such sense for a wartime nation with an ideological drive towards military conflict (that fascism always has), they would make them for the little ones...I mean why wouldnt they? If they did not, they should have.
    -Michael
    Last edited by Michael Fay; 12-07-2008, 02:01 AM. Reason: add on

Comment

I would doubt that these were ever sold as toys. By the time a boy was old enough to have a knife, he was old enough to join the DJ which would have given him an HJ knife. All of the original period produced miniatures I've seen have been of excellent quality and obviously not intended to be a childs toy. While the are usually called salesman samples, my guess is that they were given as gifts to ranking party members in a position to award government contracts. There are miniatures with the name of a carpet company on the blade. I find it hard to immagine that they handed out daggers to anyone who had the living room carpet replaced, but if you were in the position to award contracts for government buildings, you probably had a couple of cool letter openers on you desk.
      Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

To add to Larry’s comments, the supposed “RZM” marking on the blade does not help, and the last item posted is also a fake.

With all due respect to Tom Wittmann he has made some bad “calls” on items. Some of which he sells or has sold to various and sundry buyers. And his SS book likewise has some bad items alongside legitimate examples. And some misinformation as well - which simply means (that like all of us) no one is perfect. FP

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Lipps View Post
          I would doubt that these were ever sold as toys. By the time a boy was old enough to have a knife, he was old enough to join the DJ which would have given him an HJ knife. All of the original period produced miniatures I've seen have been of excellent quality and obviously not intended to be a childs toy. While the are usually called salesman samples, my guess is that they were given as gifts to ranking party members in a position to award government contracts. There are miniatures with the name of a carpet company on the blade. I find it hard to immagine that they handed out daggers to anyone who had the living room carpet replaced, but if you were in the position to award contracts for government buildings, you probably had a couple of cool letter openers on you desk.
          Given to a carpet company! I would have never figured that one.
          Very intriguing and yes odd.
          I see your point about child's toys, I thought so as I have an SS child's book of storys and poems with child's illustrations of toys and an SS dagger for the little kids to look at. Does not prove anything of course.
          I would have posted a shot of the illustration ... but have had bad experiences doing that lately
          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince View Post
            To add to Larry’s comments, the supposed “RZM” marking on the blade does not help, and the last item posted is also a fake.
            FP
            I do not like the cheap appearance of the cast body on the second one......Quality certainly is not what one would expect for an SS dagger miniature IMHO......That goes for both of them.....Bodes

Comment

Hello I wonder why Whitmann thinks the miniature I posted is original. I'll have to ask him at the SOS or the Max. Kirby

Comment

Asking direct questions could be helpful. Although I know from my own personal experience when the questions were in his “comfort zone” (for lack of a better term) he could be fairly eloquent in his explanations.

But with other topics, sometimes have not much if anything to say as regards particular specifics. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X