HJ Kanife RZM 7/72 Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my freinds have said it all.

She came cheap, enjoy her for what she is. A relic.

I don't want to be a hypocrite and say never repair a piece. I have, but the circumstances were different. You've got a relic of the past, allbeit in rough condition, but it's real. Look at it this way: If the piece could tell a story. The condition allows the imagination to run a little (even though it's rough shape can liekly be attributed to bad storage). I think in the long run you'll be happy you left her alone....especially after you buy a piece in nice condition...the beauty and the beast

Good collecting,
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by txuko View Post
      I will Dismantle the knife, remove all oxido, repaint the sheath, clear the plastic pieces, polish the diamond and i will take the handle to chromed again.

Is a idea!!!
      to re .chrome the handle my good sir.you will need to get all the pits out first.then highly polish the handle.then re.chrome it.if the pits are to big fill them with zinc.then use fine sandpaper.very easy to do.my good sir.i just love a nice restoration

Comment

forgive me for my last post as you can see i havn't been on e bay much so again i apologise still knife would look good hanging on a plaque with a similar condition hj buckle

Comment

Originally posted by txuko View Post
          I will Dismantle the knife, remove all oxido, repaint the sheath, clear the plastic pieces, polish the diamond and i will take the handle to chromed again.

Is a idea!!!
          It's an idea, but I would hope that the statement was made more tongue in cheek than as a plan of action.

To add my voice to the others - IMO the knife should be left alone with perhaps the exception of some minor cleaning up. It's not only not cost effective to try and remove all three rivets (and find or have replacement rivets made). But then you you have to try and get it all back together (without breaking something).

But beyond that there is also the matter of how to deal with the zinc corrosion which is well underway. Which very likely won't be stopped by just re-plating the hilt. And sooner or later, any remaining corrosion cells left in the metal, will start to lift and bubble underneath the re-nickeled finish (which is generally how the originals were done versus chrome). That also being true for the scabbard. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X