WW I bayonets - help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW I bayonets - help needed

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post these pics...if not, can the moderator please move this to the correct forum. These bayonets are in the local museum and are not ID'd properly. I am trying to help them ID these bayonets. Can anyone here help us out. Thanks.

This is ID'd as being German. Is this correct?
    Attached Files

Possibly French?
    Attached Files

Comment

British?
      Attached Files

Comment

Possibly another French piece?
        Attached Files

Comment

First is a US M1917 Trench Knife, second is most likely a French M1874, third could be Belgian M1889, fourth is French M1886. Need more info on the markings on # 2 & 3 to say for sure. Are these WW1 vet bring backs?
          Last edited by Kilian; 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

WW1 Bayonets

The first item is a trench knife that I have no information on,number two is a French Model1874 Gras bayonet,number three is a French M1914 Remington bayonet [ fits the Remington Rolling Block rifle supplied to France by the U.S.],number four is a French M1886 Lebel bayonet,\. Hope this helps.

Comment

I think John is right regarding #3. The Belgian M1889 Long and the French Remington M1914 are quite similar at first glance, but this could indeed be the Remington made French M1914. You do not see these very often. As stated before the markings will reveal more.

Comment

WW1 bayonets

I reviewed a couple of my books and still think that number three is for the French M1914 instead of the Belgian M1889. The main reasons being is that the press button on the Belgian [even on the bayonets made by Hopkins & Allen] is on the other side of the pommel from what is pictured and the crossguard in the area of the muzzlering is taller on the Belgian. The best way to tell for sure would be to remove it from the board and see what is stamped on the other side of the blade. If it says "Remington Arms Co. etc" in the fuller then it is a French M1914. Just my opinion and of course I could be wrong.

Comment

Thanks a ton guys!! The museum had these completely misidentified. Here is one more challenge, a sword. Can anyone ID this item?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Close-up
                    Attached Files

Comment

I collect bayonets, not sabres, so I canĀ“t help you out straight away. If you could possibly have it removed from the board and post some close-ups of the markings on the blade, maybe these will reveal its origins. A frog stud is not common on a sabre scabbard, most have one or two rings. It could help in the identification.

Comment

Thanks Kilian. The museum isn't planning on taking them down for a little while. But when they do, I will post more detailed pics of the sabre in hopes that we can identify it properly.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X