Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luft Gravity knife help

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 1st model (non-takedown) SMF gravity knife from the son of the vet who brought it back. All springs work, numbers on lever and spring head match and there's significant crossgrain left on the blade. No readily evident sharpening and the blade does not rattle when retracted or extended. The spike also displays the correct waffenampt as expected. An all around pretty decent example rating around Exc. + and would rate higher if it werent for the wear on the head from being carried and for a couple of dings to the wood on one grip plate. Now, the thing that's annoying is that the blade wont come out all the way unless I give it a good shake. I'd like to smooth up the mechanism by adding a little oil. Normally I would never do anything to a collectible, but I dont want to stress the spring by holding it open longer than i have to every time i want to see the blade. Does anyone see any real harm in oiling the mechanism so the blade drops out smoothly like it was meant to? I imagine, being actual field gear and not dress pieces, that these would have been oiled for use during the war, and I think mine's a bit dry or there might be some dust or something in there that is slightly gumming things up. Educated (i.e. you own one of these and you know what I'm talking about) opinions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want the blade to get frozen in there if I leave it w/o looking at it from time to time over the next few decades.

Best,
    Josh

No one has owned a "sticky" gravity knife?? I thought this was a pretty common phenomenon...

Comment

Just find this post now .

Gravity & oil ?

Just put some light oil to the blade and wipe off softly.

You can also put minor oil on the lever & wipe off the rest.

if you store your knife way for long time , you should check it sometimes and put some new oil into the blade.
      Last edited by LH 600; 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh B. View Post
        No one has owned a "sticky" gravity knife?? I thought this was a pretty common phenomenon...
        ohh yes
        Last edited by LH 600; 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Glad to know someone else out there feels my pain

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X