Kriegsmarine Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine Dagger

I have a Kriegsmarine dagger that one of my wife's uncles "obtained" during the war. Her mother got it when he died and she gave it to one of my wife's cousins. At that time, my wife said the portapee (she called it the rope with the knot thing on it!!!) was on the dagger.

A few years ago her cousin gave it to me and the portapee had been hacked, cut, or chewed off!!! All that remains is a portion of the rope:

First, should I replace it? I want to display it. Second, what's the going price for a portapee (does it come with all the rope) these days? There's a militaria show coming up this month at the Virginia War Museum and one of the vendors usually has a couple for sale. Last time I think he was asking $60-65. Last, where can I get instruction on how to re-wrap the thing?

I can provide more pictures, but you can see what's missing.

thanks for looking,
    Bob

Bob - I go to the VA War Museum every year. Unlikely you will find a portepee there. Maybe from Ron Wolin if he is there. Leave it alone, you will go crazy trying to put on a new portepee.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Thanks Jeff,

If I run across one I may buy it and add it to the display separately, if the price isn't too high.

Question, This looks like a standard dagger, not one that was noteworthy. Were the portapees different from one branch of service to the other or within a branch such as Kriegsmarine?

Comment

The portepees were the same for all Navy daggers. The material changed during the war, but there is no dedicated style/type/pattern for a given Navy dagger.

Best,
        Skip

Comment

Thanks Skip! I'll be on the lookout for one at the show. I saw 2 or 3 at the last show I went to so maybe I'll get lucky this time.

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X