Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runner marks on my SA Dagger

Hey Guys,

A while ago I got an SA dagger, it originally came with runner marks on the back of the blade. I was fine with that, then one day I wasn't paying attention and put the dagger the wrong way into the scabbard. When I pulled it out I saw runner marks on the front of the blade

Is there any way to get rid of them? I know they have to do with the springs inside the scabbard... but exactly how do the marks come from this?

That 's a bit weird. The spring is made of brass a soft alloy. I'm a bit surprised it makes a clear runner mark because of one time put the blade it in the wrong direction?

Regards, Theo
    Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Hi you can use semi-chrome to polish out the runner marks .....cheers scott.

Comment

Originally posted by sweezz View Post
        Hi you can use semi-chrome to polish out the runner marks .....cheers scott.
        this will also take away the crossgrain on the blade , best to store them apart and live with the marks !

slim

Comment

Originally posted by SLIM View Post
          this will also take away the crossgrain on the blade , best to store them apart and live with the marks !

slim
          Slim good point but if used lightly to remove the runner marks it should,nt affect the crossgrain too badly. i,ve used it a few times to remove runner marks & other small stains from the blade without making any differance to the crossgrain only if used lightly IMO......Cheers Scott.

Comment

Slim good point but if used lightly to remove the runner marks it should,nt affect the crossgrain too badly. i,ve used it a few times to remove runner marks & other small stains from the blade without making any differance to the crossgrain only if used lightly IMO......Cheers Scott.

when i had any minty blades in my collection i never stored them in the scabbards, i just put some renwax on the blades ! , also if this guys scabbard is really tight it could be a mismatched set ?

cheers

slim
            Last edited by SLIM; 08-24-2008, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Should you ever decide to sell, the one runner mark wouldn't bother me as much a possibly damaging the crossgrain. I'd leave it alone.
              Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Lipps View Post
                Should you ever decide to sell, the one runner mark wouldn't bother me as much a possibly damaging the crossgrain. I'd leave it alone.
                Not planning on selling, but I will just leave the thing along. I just can't believe marks showed up from putting it in the wrong way once.

Comment

Originally posted by RylanBrissette View Post
                  Not planning on selling, but I will just leave the thing along. I just can't believe marks showed up from putting it in the wrong way once.
                  Rylan if your blade has plenty crossgrain left & you dont want to mess with it thats fine i used semichrome polishing creme in only a few occasions to clean of some unwanted runner marks & a few stains & i was light handed doing so which never lost any of the crossgrain in the process. saying that its totally up to the individual but sometimes it needs to be done to get rid of dirt ect that could eventually damage the blade after doing so i put some renwax on to protect the blade for futher damage.......regards scott.

Comment

the most important thing here is that if you polish the blade you will knock dollars off the value !!
                    Dagger value depends mostly on BLADE condition , lets see this blade m8 ?

slim

Comment

Originally posted by SLIM View Post
                      the most important thing here is that if you polish the blade you will knock dollars off the value !!
                      Dagger value depends mostly on BLADE condition , lets see this blade m8 ?

slim
                      Slim yes you are totally correct in what your saying but i,m talking about a very light clean/polish/preserve that hardly touches the crossgrain That blade was sold a while back so cant show you a pix so you,ll need to take my word on it ....cheers scott.

Comment

Sounds to me that there is something on the tension things in the scabbard that caused this. IMO

Only once did I put my dagger back in the scabbard to see what it feels like. I don't think it will ever go back in!

The semichrome you are talking about- is it actually spelled simichrome that seems to come in a yellow tube?

Thanks
                        Brian

Comment

Slim yes you are totally correct in what your saying but i,m talking about a very light clean/polish/preserve that hardly touches the crossgrain That blade was sold a while back so cant show you a pix so you,ll need to take my word on it ....cheers scott.

hi scott , your word is good enough for me buddy

slim

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I think I will leave it as is. The marks arn't too bad, but to happen after taking it out and putting it in once seems a bit odd.

Cheers,

Comment

Yes

Well I do not think it's that surprising. Please check that on the runners, there is nothing alien present In other words, I had a similar problem on one of my bayonet scabbards and found out there was a bit of foreign metal that was scratching the blade. It was only on one side and would explain your problem. Just check it and clean it if you locate it. As mentioned before, the runners are made from a softer metal.

JAN

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X