X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chained NSKK on Estand

I'm sure many of you have seen the dagger for sale in the following thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=303213

I believe that when the chained model dagger was introduced, those eligible to wear it could simply:
    A) have their existing scabbard modified to include the chain and extra hanger mount
    B) take their old dagger and put it into a new chained scabbard
    C) buy a whole new rig and retire their unchained setup

Option B would give rise to the pairing we see in the above thread, but what I really want to know is would this be right given that the chain in the thread is also RZM'd. I've heard a rumor that scabbards purchased for upgrade (w/o accompanying dagger) would not be RZM'd due to the fact that it was a private purchase item- though I don't know if this really makes sense. Un-RZM'd (but NSKK marked) upgrade chained scabbards DO surface paired with early daggers, but I don't know of the flip side- that RZM marked daggers are ever paired with un RZM'd chains. So, to get to the point, as the scabbard on the dagger for sale above has a RZM'd chain and an early dagger, would this by definition be dagger+scabbard combo that would not be from the period. IE, someone took a beater dagger out of a chained scabbard and put in a nice early SA/NSKK to make the whole shebang nicer? Or were private purchase chained scabbards also RZM'd, making the above combination completely OK? Let's hear those (educated I hope) opinions! Maybe this will help me get my facts straight if I'm a little off.

Josh

I have witness more than 40 Chained NSKK daggers and the vast majority of those "field upgrades" were not RZM marked.
    There is a lot of mistunderstanding about those so called RZM and non-RZM marked chained.
    First of all, these RZM and non-RZM marked chained are from two different manufacture and are not identical.
    Eickhorn contracted their chained components through Assman but you could also buy a "field upgrade" for your existing dagger.
    Those "field upgrade" chained scabbards were produced by an unknown manufacturer and were always unmarked, Eickhorn didn't make those.
    When they did, they were marked.
    Some other supplier was buying the scabbard alone from Eickhron and the chained components from another unknown source.
    These were then "put together" and were sold without a dagger and hence, were known as field upgrades and they are 100% ligit.

Comment

I believe the maker of the NSKK unmarked chains was Wurttembergische Metallwarenfabrik, Geislingen, Wurttemberg. I think some unmarked ones could have been for upgrades, but I doubt every unmarked set was for field upgrades only. Some of the chains were rzm marked by Wurttembergisch, but many were not.

Comment

So to be clear then, because I'm not doubting that "field upgrade" scabbards are legitimate, do we accept some scabbards that were PERIOD SOLD AS FIELD UPGRADES, were sometimes RZM'd? (Because the one on the Estand is RZM'd) I guess that's the question I really wanted answered above.

Just using bold to accentuate the particulars, not "yelling".

Josh

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X