Dagger Preservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dagger Preservation

I have finally gotten a dagger !! and have been doing alot of research on preserving it because this is a concern to me. I have recently bought VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) Bags for my firearms and I've just ordered a few more for the dagger and scabbard.

Have any of you used these with long term success?

I have also just ordered Renassance Wax and was going to coat the dagger/scabbard with it and seal it in the VCI bag- is this a good idea?

With the zinc plated RZM daggers has anyone found a good way to preserve the plating? This is real important to me and I'm focusing on find a way to prolong its life.

thanks for your help!
    Brian

Congrats!
    This might be of some help:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=141071

Comment

Thank You. I had found that through google earlier today.....

Comment

Does anyone have any tips to protect the plating on RZM daggers??

Anyone have there own preservation tips?

Thanks
        Last edited by b_vanfossen; 08-15-2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I have used gun oil on my daggers,but will try to find Rennaisanse wax here in Norway and start use that.

Comment

Carlos-

Thanks for replying. I have actually used Prolix on my dagger which is a citrus based metal cleaner, lubricant, & preserve which is geared for guns.

I have read that oil is bad for plated parts and can cause lifting due to it getting between the plating and metal beneath.

TTUL

Comment

As stated previously. There are other museum grade wax preservatives out there which are just as good as Ren. The key ingredient is the microcrystaline. Ren is overwhelmingly a great product, but it does have limitations. I've used it and experminted with it significantly. There are some big time NO NOs with the product. Avoid hand painted items like saki cups and bottles. If you attempt to protect them with a product like Ren you're gonna' lose those hand painted charachters. The products contain some base chemicals that have some sort of petrol base.

t

Comment

Hi Brian,
                Congratulations on your first dagger - I doubt very much it will be your first and last... you can never have enough of them. I have only ever used Ren wax on mine but you also need to consider the question 'to store your daggers in or out of their scabbards' Personally, once I receive them and take them out to check the blade, they never go back in. It's a personal thing but something you need to consider.
                regards
                Haydn.

Comment

Hey Haydn. It lives out of its sheath. Thanks

Comment

Brian,
                    Good man. I'm of the opinion all daggers/swords should be stored out of the scabbard. I can go on and on writing a dissertation on why, but i'm sure nobody wants to hear a longwhinded answer.

Bill Shea sells wonderful sword and dagger stands that display the piece outside of the scabbard while displaying both in a tidy, ordered manner. They're really good and worth every penny. He sells them in 1, 3, 4 or 7 dagger and sword stands. I've got a few of each.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X