Cossack sword with Moisin Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cossack sword with Moisin Bayonet

Thoughts on this Cossack sword with Moisin Bayonet? I've seen these with hammer and sickle + overstamped with German eagles...which this one lacks...Its plain except for an inventory number...
    So is it a model that could have been used for Cossacks in German service?
    or fake? I've never seen a Moisin bayonet attached like this...
    Opinions welcomed! Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 06-17-2008, 02:03 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files
                    Last edited by NickG; 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last image

Last image. Has anybody seen this set up before? A moisin Nagant spike bayonet attached to a cossack sabre sword? Is this ligit? Could it be correct for a Wehrmacht Cossack display?
                        Thanks
                        Nick
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Nick, I have never seen one with a green painted scabbard before? These are usually black. I strongly suspect it is repainted. The wear does not match at all.

It would be fine to use with a German Cossack display.

Back in the UK in 1970's these were very cheap and they could not give them away. Times have now changed!

Yuri showed a decorated version here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=Cossack+sword

More here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=Cossack+sword

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

good news!

The repainted scabbard does not bother me too much. So good news! Interesting set up, this saber mated together with the bajonet!
                            I checked Schuster's Cossack book and sure enough its in there and described as "Cavalry Shaska Model 27" (with "sliding bands" for attachment of the bayonet ... and used like this by horse drawn artillery/train units.
                            The book further states that Cossacks (in German service) usually removed the upper and lower (boyonet mounting) scabbard bands.
                            Maybe Yuri will chime in also!
                            Thanks Ade
                            Last edited by NickG; 06-17-2008, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Nick, I’m sorry that I may be the bearer of bad news, but what you have I think is possibly a period Chinese copy of the Soviet Cossack Sword.

After WWII the Soviets shipped the Chinese not only the machinery and training to make the Moison Nagant rifle in China. But also the same kind of assistance to make cavalry swords. There was a shop in Culver City CA. (which I think is gone now) that during the time when there was the mass export of surplus Chinese war material which had a (relatively) small number of swords from China similar but not identical to yours. The different types of markings, and especially the Chinese “PLA” green painted scabbard are also I think indicators.

As for the bayonet the Soviet sabers used a slightly different model bayonet (but not the 91/30). With the built in scabbard rings being a holdover from the Imperial era - which was very common with many Soviet era swords.

PS: Imperial era swords have smooth pommels. Soviet examples usually have the Hammer and Sickle. And on both my Dragoon and Cossack sabers the scabbard rings are higher mounted (like Yuri’s). And caution is advised because EVERY German marked example I have seen has been a fake. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X