Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number on k98 Bayonet

Dear All,

Any idea what the "38" on the grip and scabbard means? Is it a factory "control" number or something like that?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Albert
    Attached Files

Albert

Never seen this before.

Sometimes there are numbers on these bayonets under the grips which are used I believe to match parts during manufacture but never seen them on the outside of the weapon.

Doesn't look like the post war Yugoslav re-numbering either.

Obviously not the date - most intriguing.

Sorry can't give you an answer - I will be most intertested in what anybody else has to say.

Richie

Comment

Well, that's my view on it too. No doubt in my mind that those are period German marks... but what are they??? Never seen any before...

Comment

It looks to me like the bayonet was refinished. Possibly, the number had something to do with the rework.

Regards, Leon

Comment

Just guessing here, but maybe the "38" was a date after all... I've got a WKC bayonet with red bakelite grips (1942-1944) that appears to be original to the dagger. The guard has a waffenamt stamp that the same company used in the late 30's. Maybe a leftover bit that found it's way into production some years later.

Comment

The bayonet appears to be a refinished matching 1941 dated Hörster (coded “41asw"). The military contract scabbards and blades were serial numbered to match. So there was no need for additional assembly(or whatever) numbers like those on the pommel and frog stud. It looks to me like an ex-Yugoslavian, or one of the other postwar users who added assembly numbers. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X