SS EM Dagger opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS EM Dagger opinions

Just picked this one up, any thoughts? Came from a vet that had occupation duty in 46. Been told it might be parts dagger, but I'm still learning on edged weapons. Thanks!

The entire dagger appears to be a repro IMO... There's a few obvious red flags... The grip eagle and runes are peculiar, the crossguards lack definition and are poorly shaped, the blade & tang look mis-shaped, also the motto is too far down the blade. The scabbrad upper fitting has the round rolled edge seen on repros. The grip shaping is uneven and the entire fit of the dagger is bad.

Usually these will have heavy plated crossguards, often cast from brass, also often the blade is too narrow as its wides point, it should be 34mm.

Lets wait for more opinions, but doesn't look good to me. Its supposed to be a Klaas dagger, and they were well known for consistent quality. Good luck with it...

Red

Comment

Originally posted by GaryMJ View Post
      The entire dagger appears to be a repro IMO...
      Red
      Thanks Gary....it was amoungst a lot of all US knives and bayonets...the only German item. Luckily I didn't pay anything for it per se....just the whole lot. I was concerned at the fit...doesn't hold up to the quality I'm used to seeing on the few German swords I've owned. I was holding out hope that some the parts might be real.

Thanks again!

Comment

Gary has a good eye and gave a fine roll up. I don't think the Vet picked that one up during occupation duty in 1946.
        Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X