KM dagger hangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM dagger hangers

Hi folks, I would like to get some opinions if I could.

Here is a pic of the long hanger
    Attached Files

Here is the reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

the buckle
      Attached Files

Comment

short hanger. note the dramatic color difference between the clip ends
        Attached Files

Comment

close up reverse of dull colored clip
          Attached Files

Comment

What looks to me like holes from the sewing of the original clip before this one was sewn on. None of the other clips have these extra holes in the cloth and the thread also looks different to me.
            Attached Files

Comment

reverse of buckle. both have this same mark behind one lion head
              Attached Files

Comment

I would like to know your thoughts on this. I can't see how one clip would wear off most of the gold yet the chain next to it is bright.

Thanks in advance.

Best, Sal

If you need more pics let me know.

Comment

A few different ideas that I can think of that could lead to this effect:

1) they are made of two slightly different base metal alloys, each of which binds the plating wash somewhat differently

2) the bare metal may have been prepped differently before plating, leading to better retention on some parts but not on others

3) the plating process and/or source of these parts may be different, leading to differences in wear patterns. i.e.- the regain chains were bought from a diffferent manufacturer that had already plated them which were then assembled into hanger hardwear produced

4) parts, as they were broken during the course of use were removed and replaced with new parts at a uniform store or someplace of the like...

It's an odd phenomenon to say the least, but naval hangers with this issue are fairly common.

Comment

First off, I agree that the clip was likely replaced. The question is, was it done during the period or was it done recently to make a complete set of hangers out of parts or a set that was damaged?

I also agree that parts made of different metals and/or obtained from different sources by the original manufacturer can result in dramatic differences in finish these 60-plus years later. As a result, these well could be original, period-worn hangers.

The only way to be certain that Sal got what he paid for here would be to compare his pictures with those from the original sales thread from the e-stand.

Best,
                    Skip

Comment

These are indeed the same set as I originally offered, nothing has been swapped out and I sincerely hope there is no belief in some form of deception. Here is the photo of this set I had originally posted on the e-stand. My photography was obviously bright due to flash, but I did point out the weak finish on the upper clip of the short strap in our advance correspondence so there would be no problems. The base metal issue mentioned here is well known and I don't believe it really creates a negative attribute. If there are holes to indicate the clip was replaced at one time, that is definately my oversight. But I can guarantee that this set has alway been together and has not been post-war modified; they came with a nice KM dagger from a vet find four years ago. Don't worry Sal, there will be no problem in a resolution. I'll PM you and we'll go from there.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Don, this was not posted as an expose' just wanted opinions on my thoughts about the stitching. No problems and I am sure we will work it out fine.

Best, Sal

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X