MilitariaRelicts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a bayonet or sword knot & for what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a bayonet or sword knot & for what?

Hello forum...

I was wonder if this is a bayonet, or sword knot... and for what? Army, Police, etc?

Also..... is it original?

Thanks for the help... Robert

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I believe a police bayo knot. Perhaps a bayo collector can correct me if i'm incorrect in my assumption.

Nice looking knot at anyrate.

I'm attaching a photo on GD of a police bayo for comparison. Only difference is the acorn on your is solid, where as this one, is striped. (Photo belongs to member ORPO/Schupo here)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SwordFish; 03-15-2008, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Here's another illustration of one that better resembles yours.

The bayo is a repro. Knot is fine!!

Court of GD and photo owner Ilya.

I'd also guess you knot is fine. Plenty of period examples made of material as opposed to leather.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SwordFish View Post
                  Here's another illustration of one that better resembles yours.

[B]The bayo is a repro.

Why is this bayonet a repro?

Tony
                  An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

I transcribed the information from the thread on GD where it was found. I guess there were issues with the grip rivets, scabbard leather, incorrect button for the slot, and some other problems. If interested in further information, the thread can be found at GD in the BCN area. The group concensus was that is was bad....except for the knot. Based on my expereince with police bayos, I tend to agree with the masses on this one.

T

Comment

Robert,

Your knot is a Police Officer Portepee and it looks original from what I can see in the photograph. Pry apart the vertical cords on the ball (Quaste) with your fingers and see if the thread underneath is old and faded or bright and new white that possibly glows under black light.

The first bayonet & knot that SwordFish shows is mine and the attached knot is the Police NCO Portepee. This is the small knot while the large knot is for the sword. I cannot tell the size of Robert's knot to determine if it is a bayonet knot (klein) or sword knot (Grosse).

Tony, the second bayonet (not mine) is a reproduction but some of the problems are hard to see from the angle of the photo. The problems that you can see are the lack of a proper throatpiece at the mouth of the scabbard. You can probably make out the poorly fitting and unplated press stud on the pommel and the poorly fitted and oversized grips on the hilt. I think the frog and knot may be original but I don't recall right now.

Comment

Swordfish's reproduction police bayonet is the type sometimes seen on Eban. They are almost always WKC double marked. In addition to the incorrect scabbard throat, the grip plates appear almost grey. They are not stag & not even close in color or texture. Some are a mixture of real & reproduction parts, some are complete bunk but all can fool a collector not familiar with police bayonets.

Comment

Just for the record, the bayo is not mine. It was posted sometime back on GD and subsequently discussed. The concensus on the piece, as George stated, was that infact the piece is a repro. Certainly the slot release button on the pommel does not conform to examples i've handled. The piece was shown to illustrate and example of a knot similiar to the example helmetbuyers posted. I've seen these repro bayos elsewhere. I believe they are supposed to be WKC's.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X