Staghorn bayonet with etching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staghorn bayonet with etching

Ok guys I'll confess this isn't my real area of knowledge but it came in a trade so I won't beat about the bush...

...what is it? And what is its approximate value?

I can only tell it's some kind of WW2 German etched bayonet made by E. & F. Horster with staghorn grip and etching.

Can anyone also tell me what the etching means?

Best L M G Schutze der II Schiesskl 6 Komp (something to do with light machine gun?)

Cheers,
    Jack
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hmm

I do not really like it. The etching is wrong in my opinion. The edges are blurred and lacks the detail I would expect. That said, it's a NO from me.

JAN

Comment

Jack,

Your translation sounds pretty good, it appears to be some sort of divisional shooting prize. Not sure if it's a period etch or not, judging from the pictures although the first picture looks like it has some decent detail to it, can't tell from the second one. The hilt looks good but I'd like to see a better detailed picture of the blade if possible before venturing a guess at value.

Comment

Jack,

Your bayonet looks to be an original shooting prize bayonet. A little worse for wear. The etch loosely translates as being 'Best light machine gunner IInd shooters(?) class in the 6th Company' . Possibly an award for being the best LMG shot in a training excersise. Not enough here to determine if it was a regimental or a divisional competion.

As for value I don't know. Does it have a scabbard?

Tony
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Jack,

You have what appears to be a well worn example of a pre-war Honor Bayonet. It seems to have been awarded as a shooting prize. These have been reproduced from old police bayonet parts, so one must be carefull with determining originality. A closeup shot of the blade etching on both sides would help figuring that out.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X