Sword question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword question

As I was out riding my bicycle this evening a man stopped me to show me some nice german items he found in his uncle's attic . Of course, I told him if he ever wanted to sell I would be interested. Anyway, there was a nice orange handled WKC army dagger, a nice AC 43 P38 pistol with holster, a WWI calvary sword and an odd sword that I couldn't immediatly identify.

I belive this sword might be a hunting cutlass but I don't know. It was medium length and it had a flat wide blade. The handle was black wood (maybe ebony) and had three silver round metal pieces (not acorns) on the handle. The handle had a brass (I think) D guard but no clamshell or anything. There was a dark brown leather scabbard with a stud for a frog. The scabbard had silver fittings on the throat and tip and what looked to be unit numberings engraved. There was a place for one small dagger on the front ( a pocket like a ghurka) but the dagger was missing.

What do you think -- pre war hunting cutlasss???
    Last edited by Military Trader; 03-11-2008, 10:47 PM.

From your description, certainly sounds like it. Too bad the skinning blade is gone...

Josh

Comment

Just a post-script -- I went by again today and just had to make the guy an offer for these items -- however he didn't seem eager to sell (I really liked the army dagger. It had a great orange handle, a flawless blade, and a mixture of patina and black paint on the scabbard -- where some infantry Heer guys wore their daggers with their combat gear)

Anyway he also told me that the German folks in a town that the American company fought through wrote every man in the unit a personal letter (in German) of thanks I assume. he has the letter and is going to show it to me sometime.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X