WWI Bayonet Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Bayonet Help

Hello everyone. I picked up this WWI German bayonet & scabbard today at a local antique store for $50. It appears to be in very nice shape but I'm not very familiar with WWI bayonets so could you guys give me any additional information on this? Are the makers marks significant in any way? Thanks for the help!

Michael
    Attached Files

Maker
    Attached Files

Comment

Marks on handle
      Attached Files

Comment

Marking on scabbard
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice 98/05 German WW1 Bayonet look on the spine of the bayonet for a date..BILL

Comment

Thanks for the response Bill. I can't see any date on the bayonet but it does have the following marks:
            Attached Files

Comment

It appears your Fichtel & Sachs, Schweinfurt 98/05 was made in 1918. However, I believe the scabbard is from an earlier model. This isn't my area and I'm sorta wingin' it here but I think the earlier (and much rarer) model is a 98/02?? The 98/05 scabbards were metal.
              Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Guys the 98/05's had these leather scabbard until 1915. The manufacture of them was dropped due to their unsuitability in regards to being durable in the trenches. Steel scabbards then took their place , but the old pattern scababrds soldiered on while they lasted.
                The bayonet was indeed made in 1918 and was bavarian issue as noted by the Crown L for King Ludwig of Bavaria.
                I have some pre 1915 98/05's w/steel scabbards so if you had the notion to swap scabbards I'd be game.

Comment

Very nice S98/05 "Butcher".New style bayonet,with old style scabbard.As mentioned before;the leather scabbards were replaced,by metal ones,and these leather ones are not so common.

You scored a very nice deal for only $50
                  Congrats,

regards,Jeremy

Comment

Thats great! Thanks everyone for your help with this!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X