How To Store My Ss Blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John,

With so many varied opinions you're in danger of having an anxiety attack. I recommend that you simplify your life and just send the dagger to me.

With mine I place a cloth over a probe and do my best to reach down into the scabbards and clean the runners. Then I oil them, then wipe the oil off. I also oil the blades with a cloth than wipe the oil off them. I keep the daggers in the scabbards and only remove them a few times a year. The best practice, however, is to keep them out of their scabbards.

Comment

I continue to read varying opinions on the oiling of blades. I wonder if I'm correct in siding with those who believe that oiling a blade would make it more susceptible to attracting dust and grime? It just seems that oil, even when wiped down, would leave a film that would be a magnet for dirt. I would have a real problem putting oil down into any scabbard, for the same reason. Except for blowing them out with compressed air, I've left the scabbards alone on my daggers, and I've cleaned the daggers with a dry soft cloth, before treating them to a thin coat of RenWax.
      At the risk of starting the debate again, could some of the real Dagger mavens weigh in on this for me?

Thanks,
      Bob.
      I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Bob,
        I totally believe, 100% that oil is the wrong preservative to use on daggers. Guns are one thing. They require lubrication to operate. that being said, if I collected antique firearms, I would also preserve the finish with wax as opposed to oil.

From experience, yes, oil does attract foreign particulates. The though of oil on a scabbard runner kills me. Between the potential from trapping moisture, and the potential of trappaing say grains of sand, only bad things can come out of this. Imagine oily blade runners, with a couple grains of sand stuck to them, while resheathing a shiny blade like a 1st Luft. If the fit is tight, an abrassive particulate like sand will cause scratching. It will. No question. Regarding the oil and long term storage of a blade, if the blade and runners are oiled, and assuming a small amount of moisture is trapped in the oil, it will encourage rust and oxidation to form after extended periods of inactivity.

Wax, IMHO, is the only way to go. Oil your assault rifles and pistols, not your daggers

Comment

Hi Bob, I would agree. No oil on blades, only RenWax.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X