Help with Pointed EM Red Cross Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Pointed EM Red Cross Dagger

Hmmm... Just found your site and registered, but evidently I am not alowed to post photo's or I do not know how? Any way will start, I have picked up an EM Red Cross Dagger from a friend of a friend kind of thing, has supposedly gone through a couple of family hands from the long dead Vet. I did buy it, but it has a spear point tip. Now at first ok done by someone along the way, but just to nice and original looking (yes, I do have some experience - and it is not just wishful thinking). The kicker is the pointed one is about a full 1/8" longer than a standard one in my collection, just the opposit of what you would expect if it was pointed later !! I have checked out several of my reference books (Johnson, etc.) no luck. I wish I could post photos, any help will be appreciated. Skid

Hi and welcome onboard. Indeed you can post photo's. Use image shack or similair.

Comment

Napalm, Thanks but no idea what that means.
      I tried clicking on the insert Image and asks for URL ??
      I have pictures on a Sony floppy or can put on hard drive.
      Any help appreciated - Thanks - Skid

Comment

Association Membership

Hello,

Welcome to WAF. You will find many folks willing to assist in all areas of the forum.

If I understand correctly you have joined at the base level and cannot post pictures. If that is so it's because without having a full Association Membership you don't have access to that feature. I suggest you upgrade to the yearly paid membership and post your pictures for us to see and assist you from. It's 25USD a year I believe. Money well spent if you are staying in the hobby.

Top right hand corner of this page where it says A. Member is where to check that out.

Regards,
        Stu

Comment

To post pictures... upload the images to photo bucket, then highlight the image code and copy & paste it here.

My friend Stu here recommended for me to become an Association Member several times, and when I finally did... I wondered why I didn't listen to him sooner. For only $25, it is well worth it

Comment

About the dagger, does it have a saw back on the blade. Was it found with the original scabbard? And yes, get us some pictures!

Best, Josh

Comment

sssniper, send me the pics I'll get them posted here.
              my email is
              bretvansant@militaryedgedweapons.com

Does not matter what size they are.
              Bret

Comment

Hello Bret - Thanks for the offer, will do.
                I will also see about joining today anyway.
                Skid

Comment

sssniper, got your pics loaded, they will stay as long as you need them, i dont use much of my web sapce anymore.
                  Your Red X Em Hewer would be considered a post war sharpening to the point. The blunted tip is considered factory done. I'll add a bit here: While most die hard purists in the hobby think that if it does not meet the standard for normal they would not even think of owning it. The re-pointing of this Hewer is felt by most to be done after the war by returning GI's. Americans love knifes and any knife without a keen edge is really not of use, so yes many GI's did re-point the tip. I'll also add that I would think any German enlisted man who was in the field and used one of these hewers may ponder the thought to re-point the dagger for a better use. The Geneva Convention forbid the future use of any sawback weapon, the blunted tip is felt by many to have been germanys way around this order. The sawback Luft survival machete is not conforming to that type of thinking though. Also: Most of todays collectors will only collect what is a known type, rather what authors consider a known type. This re-pointed hewer's value on the open market is much lower than the blunted factory tip. Collectors only want items that conform to the norm. If a returning GI sharpened the tip or a german sharpened the tip most dont care. Hell, 15 or 20 years ago I would have told you"its a sharpened em, too bad not worth much" but as age creeps in, I see collecting in a diffrent light, while the hewer does not meet the standard it's sharpened point is part of this dagger types history. Besides, its not a hack job so someone took care when doing it. And a final note: While looking over an old catalog last evening, I dream of buying this stuff when it was 20 bucks !! In a Robert Abel catalog from the mid 50's, a Red Cross Hewer was listed at $29.00 usd. Not so amazing was the price but the name it was listed as "Peoples Welfare Dagger or other wise know as a Medics Dagger" So times change.
                  Bret Van Sant

Comment

Bret makes some good points. One theory and it is just that- collectors believe there are two makers of this hewer one has scabbard screws and is attributed to Klaas the other is P. D. Luneschloss and has pressed on scabbard fittings. Now has any one ever measured these blades? It is possible they may vary the ¼” can you tell us what your scabbard looks like does it have screws or not? I agree with Brent the value is substantially lowered by this

Comment

Geeze Brent what time do you get up in the morning?

Comment

Tom up at 3 am today, older = less sleep-baby on the way= no sleep in the future a bit of prep work for me. so far so good . BTW I just looked at your email on the luft piece. I'll drop you a email. Bret

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X