BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allgemeine SS guards with truncated bayonets??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allgemeine SS guards with truncated bayonets??

Hello to all, this is a sort of double thread due it was mainly opened on the photo section to share with all of you these two nice pictures recently acquired but it seems that the interest about what appears to be a truncated bayonet on both guard is rising so I hope that administrators will give me the permit to post the same pictures also in this section...I haven't any experience on the edged weapons and I hope that someone will be help us to understand the reason of bayonets in these condition!The palce is the Ehrentempel, Königsplatz, Munich and the link of the thread is:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=268593

If you need more scans of the bayonets I will do them!!Thank you in advance to all!!Alex

Comment

Comment

Gauleiter,

Yes, the picture is indeed the resting place of NSDAP members who were killed in the Putsch attempt. The bayonet is a reworked S98/05 that is affixed to the guard's reworked Gew 98 Mauser rifle. The modifications to the bayonet and the rifle were done during the NS Zeit.

These bayonets have had the blade and scabbard shortened in the style of one shown on page 70 of my book, "Seitengewehr; History of the German Bayonet 1919-1945." The one shown in my book is dated 1937. The blade tip has also been blunted for guard use. A great photograph and the first one I have seen of these modified S98/05 in use.

George Wheeler

Comment

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
          Gauleiter,

Yes, the picture is indeed the resting place of NSDAP members who were killed in the Putsch attempt. The bayonet is a reworked S98/05 that is affixed to the guard's reworked Gew 98 Mauser rifle. The modifications to the bayonet and the rifle were done during the NS Zeit.

These bayonets have had the blade and scabbard shortened in the style of one shown on page 70 of my book, "Seitengewehr; History of the German Bayonet 1919-1945." The one shown in my book is dated 1937. The blade tip has also been blunted for guard use. A great photograph and the first one I have seen of these modified S98/05 in use.

George Wheeler
          Thank you very much for your more than precious post!!!

Comment

Great Pictures.

Thanks!

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1 View Post
              Great Pictures.

Thanks!

Tony
              Thanks, Tony, to you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X