SS dagger?? Would you buy it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS dagger?? Would you buy it?

I have the chance to buy this for $600.00 and know the blade is fake but everything else is correct SS. Unless by some wild chance the blade is correct, would you pay $600.00 for it? This style blade script was really used and may be a nice example althought not real. Shame as it is really a good blade. Also this script is on a SS is in Atwoods book.

Any thoughts about it or other areas you would like pictures of to help just let me know. Also is it hard to find a real blade? Thanks,,Rick B

Last edited by Rick B; 01-28-2008, 09:30 PM.

[quote=Rick B;2433456]...would you pay $600.00 for it? [quote]

In a word, no. You might sell off the parts and get your money back or luck out and find a blade, but you'll always have nothing more than a parts piece or a project.

My two cents',
    Skip

Comment

I must say that I completely agree with Skip's comments.

Chris

Comment

isnt that the dagger presented to Erich Anton Paul von Däniken that was found in a pyramid !!

Comment

So what I am gathering is it would be worth well over $2,000 if the blade was correct but since it isn't then its not even worth $600.00?

I was offered a blade for $500.00 last week before I had this in hand and if it fit correct and was for this style my $1,100 would still not be worth it? Is there something else I missed on the rest of the parts being bad?

I'm basing this on everyone having a 100% positively correct SS right?

If anyone comes up with a mixed SS for $1,100 please let me know as I will take it. Thanks,,Rick B

Comment

I vote no.

Comment

Various Considerations.......SS Dagger Purchase...

Hi RICK B...... Various Considerations.......

When you Contemplate an SS Dagger Purchase, it is a very BIG Step....(and at a Significantly higher price than most other Daggers.) The usual entry level SS 33 Dagger will cost between $2,500 - $3,500, based upon many, many variables, such as (IMO):

1. Condition of the Blade 1st, then the Grip 2nd, then the Scabbard 3rd?
              2. Is Dagger 'unmessed' with / ALL Original intrinsic (Not Changed out) Parts?
              3. Is Scabbard (Anodized, Painted , Re-Painted) consistent with the SS Model?
              4. SS 33 vs. SS Transitional / RZM Model? (33's are more Expensive)
              5. Multiple other variables......

When looking at all of the above & contemplating a '1st SS' Purchase - it is indeed far and away, Best to buy an 'Original Classic UnMessed With' SS Dagger. You sleep better, because you have no considerations to worry about.

BUT ......... then there is the REALITY that an SS Dagger is darn expensive!!!

So, What "IF" you can't come up with the $2,500 - $3,500, but still must have that SS Dagger? (See current thread on SS Ground Rohm, where a very patient SS buyer got a Real Deal).

or - you can go for an 'SS Part's Dagger' which will partially satisfy your needs for an SS Dagger, but will still leave you Wanting, and Wishing for the Real Deal SS.

Value of SS 'Parts?:' Yes, there is Real value there, as Auction History points out (on eBay, Manions, Militaria321 & many other sites) such that:

1) SS 33 Grip w Eagle & SS Rondel: $250 - $350 + ($50-$75 less for RZM Grip)
              2) SS 33 Nickle Silver Marked Cross Guards: $200 - $300 (a NS Set marked "I" and Maker Marked "H" sold on eBay today for $232.00 + S & H ... Item #: 170188517502)
              3) SS 33 Black Anodized Scabbard: $250 - $450
              4) Painted Black Scabbard: $150 - $300
              5) Blade (as shown): ?????

So, "IF" you bought it & kept it for a while until you could upgrade, my Opinion is that you could get your $600.00 back, by selling off the various Parts.

What you decide to do regarding an SS Dagger purchase is a very personal decision, based upon your own preferences and tolerances. (ONLY You have to look at that SS Dagger every day - and be happy or not!)

The Easy, and prudent, Answer is to wait for the Real Deal, or search it out like on the SS Ground Rohm thread. But each one of us is different - and we only have ourselves to make happy. Just my Opinion . ........ Txs, Dave/dblmed

Comment

Originally posted by Rick B View Post
                So what I am gathering is it would be worth well over $2,000 if the blade was correct but since it isn't then its not even worth $600.00?
                Rick,

That may sound crazy, but it's true. We collectors are an odd lot! I stick to my original comments and am certain that if you hold out until you can swing an original, un-messed-with dagger you'll be much better off.

Best,
                Skip

Comment

Thank you all , I appreciate the help. Rick B

Comment

Lots to think About....When Buying an SS Dagger

Rick, There really is Lots to think About....When Buying an SS Dagger!!!!

Get TW's "SS Book" 1st and foremost, then Read, Study, Go to Shows, Visit w other Collectors, Handle the REAL SS Daggers, scan the Dealer's WebSites, Read Some More, & follow the WAF Dagger's Threads on SS Daggers ........ and you'll be armed with the Knowledge to get that SS Dagger for your Collection!!! Txs, Dave/dblmed

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X