Preservation: Knot Ready To Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preservation: Knot Ready To Go

In the bayo thread I was discussing, a fellow member and I were discussing some leather reconditioning and preservation technique. This knot has been treated, and is now ready to be tied onto the bayo.

I used Pecards antique leather pollish. No harsh chemicals according to the package. It both moistens, softens and stopw leather rot. After a couple of days, I wiped off the excess. Once removed, and lightly pollished, I apply a coat of Renwax to lock in the new found moisture and create a light barrier for the leather so fingerprints won't permeate the surface too terribly much. Only a light coat, so the leather can still breath. The Renwax is then lightly buffed and any excess is removed.

The bayo knot is now alot softer, the cracks are no longer continuing to split and the leather is much more pliable and much easier to tie. I've used this meathod for a few years now, primarily with army saber knots, and my results hae been very positive.

It's the meathod I use, and it works for collecting interests. Each person has thier own meathod and a trial and error period is expected. I wouldn't experiment with rare or expensive knots or leather, but if I blow it on a bayo or common sword knot, the loss is not too severe.

Good luck and here's the fruit of the work.

T
    Attached Files

Inside of knot strap. Regimental Flak marking.
    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X