Cleaning- That Time of Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning- That Time of Year

Well it's that time of year. Tax returns? Yea, but also that ritual known as collection cleaning. I have to unfortuanately dedicate an entire day to the process. I start with the sabers. Seeing that they are displayed unscabbard and in a display case, it is still critical to polish them to remove and dust and oxidation thats taken place. I've found that layers of dust that accumulate on saber blades, will create a dust "grim" which makes cleaning and care difficult. The cleaning process involves wiping down the blade to remove any loost dust. Same holds true for the hilts, however, the dust tends to be less toxic to the hilts. After they are wiped down, a layer of Renwax is applies to the blades, hilt, and grip/grip wire. Following, the scabbards should be wiped down as well. Keep in mind, the wax is critical to the sabers integrity. When a caot of wax is applied to the blade, the blade itself becomes impervious to fingerprints, but also wiping dust off the blades is much easier when it is perfromed 6 months later. On the Luft saber, the leather grip is also coated with musuem wax to preserve the moisture and prevent cracking and damage from the environment.

The same holds true for daggers. I follow the same meathod for cleaning daggers as I do for cleaning the sabers.

Anyway, just a reminder to clean and preserve you collection. Here's a quick photo of some daggers and a Luft and Army saber that were just cleaned today.
    Attached Files

My badges, crosses and misc medals receive a cleaning and waxing upon purchase. Since they are displayed in sealed cases, there is not need for dust removal or further cleaning, if the initial cleaning was done is a satisfactory way.
    Attached Files

Comment

EK's and badges and some misc safely contained and displayed.
      Attached Files

Comment

Badges and some IDF stuff.

My tall display case doesn't shield the dust all that well and require that I hand clean each piece on display.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hand cleaning required.
          Attached Files

Comment

Very, very nice.

Comment

Thank you Scott .

Display is important, but preservation is more important. I'd like my kids to inherit my junk....so they can sell it...which im sure they'll do.

T

Comment

"My junk" ...

Comment

Name your price on that rare SS snowman...

Comment

Sorry, that one's a keeper.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X