Luftwaffe Survival Machete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Survival Machete

I originally posted this machete in the Equipment forum and someone suggested I post it in the Edged Weapons forum, so here it is. At least the first picture. Rather than repost everything, here's the link to all the pictures: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=262065

--Kevin
    Attached Files

That's a very rare bird you've catched! It's the first time a see nice colour pictures fron this one.

Regards, Theo
    Freedom is not for Free

Comment

stunner

Thats a stunner , first time ive seen one ,
      Regards steve

Comment

A very nice machete. These seem to be either beat to death or in about new condition. Quite a few variations as well were made by Alcoso.

Comment

Wow Wow Wow.
          This thing is freaking rare, the hanger doubly so.
          Hats off to ya!!
          www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

what a beauty! one of these days i would just like to own the frog from one! Never EVER seen the frog for sale and it is rare to see them on the luft machete. great find! congrats!

Comment

The brass and steel versions of the survival machete were recently discussed in depth on another forum (GDC). Some very interesting facts have been brought to light that substantiate both of these variations. Called the Buschmesser in German period description, the brass version is shown in this photo from an article in a Feb 1942 issue of Die Woche.
              Attached Files

Comment

The steel version is shown in this period photo that was published. Note the canvas frog is installed on this model, but was missing on the brass versions stored in emergency cases on board planes.
                Attached Files

Comment

Some collectors have questioned the authenticity of the brass versions of the Buschmesser, perhaps because of the fine condition in which they have been found. Unsubstantiated stories were passed around as facts.

The fact is the brass version was shown for the first time in Tom Johnson's "Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich, Vol III" and identified by him with period photos and text as survival equipment for LW aircraft. The steel version was also illustrated in that Vol. III article.

The scabbard of a brass version of the Buschmesser marked with police acceptance mark E/B was disassembled to examine the retaining springs. It was found that the springs are marked with WaA 883. This mark was a common acceptance stamp found on III Reich period produced edged weapons and other military equipment.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is a close-up of the WaA 883 found on the retaining springs of the brass version of the Buschmesser. This same acceptance stamp is also found on the retaining blade springs of some police P.S.s. bayonets.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by norwest View Post
                      I originally posted this machete in the Equipment forum and someone suggested I post it in the Edged Weapons forum, so here it is. At least the first picture. Rather than repost everything, here's the link to all the pictures: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=262065

--Kevin
                      Norwest.
                      Nice machete.
                      Joe W. yes it take of on Gdc this time, but finally we came to the end

LH
                      Last edited by LH 600; 02-20-2009, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Here are my three Buschmesser. Two brass Alcoso ACS with E/B acceptance and a steel Alcoso AWS with just trademark. Scabbards were removed to show the blades. Scabbards are identical design with two throat piece securing screws and two retaining springs, blued finish.
                        Attached Files

Comment

machetes

-------
                          Last edited by LH 600; 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Here is a Orginal Sauer marked M 30 Drilling case

Last edited by LH 600; 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM. Reason: info

Comment

The second is the open case, the marking flag is below the drilling and when I originally opened the case, the machete was nestled next to the receiver.

Here is a closeup of the 3 barrel arrangement

Here is a close-up of the stock marking

finally, here is the marking flag as you see it out of the box, with the tie end to go around the wing of the downed aircraft. Machete with the short guard is the one I found in the box and that is seen above
                              the machete was was laying parallel to the receiver, with the handle next to and on the cartridge box and the blade towards the left side of the picture.

Enjoy the pics.

Regards LH
                              Last edited by LH 600; 02-23-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X