Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light damage on leather items

Hi

I am sort of a maniac when it comes to keeping items in good condition. I want to ask any of you if you noticed any damage to the leather holders on your daggers after they sat in very indirect sunlight for several years. Was there even the smallest difference in color between the exposed side and the non exposed side?

Jean Loup

I have noticed no change. However, I cover my display cases with a sheet when I am not in the room.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Is the sheet just a thin piece of cloath, or something thick? Well, if you cover your display cases, that means you are also affraid light might cause damage. Any other people who did not cover their items, and then noticed a change after a few years?

JL

Comment

Most of my pieces are stored away in the zippered cases. I have a Luftwaffe sword on display in my study, but it is not exposed to anything harsher than normal room lighting. I have not noticed any change in the color (for example from front-to-back or top-to-bottom).

My opinion is that given the total time the pieces have been around, their worst days are behind them. In other words, I will own them for less time than they have already been around and suspect that the daily wearing and normal use would have taken a far greater toll on them than anything that may happen to them while in my collection.

Never gave it much thought, but I don't see any real cause for concern - one more opinion.

Best and happy 4th!
        Skip

Comment

The thing is, many of the things we own were kept in the dark of basements, trunks, etc, for 50 of their 60 years, so during that period, light could not damage them. Now, if a dagger is exposed in the same position for 20 years, there is surely a risk of a difference in color appearing.
          Anyways, I am being a bit fanatical here right.
          JL

Comment

For the most part there aren't any basements in Texas and I've never ecnountered any leather that appeared to be "light damaged". Any item stored in direct sunlight will fade. Paper items stored in indirect sunlight or even flourescent lighting can fade. I've never seen leather items in normal room lighting have any problems. I'm a lot more concerned about humidity than light.
            Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

I am more concerned about keeping a dagger in an unventilated pouch than in a display case believe it or not. When they sat in a trunk or drawer, they still got air circulation.

On the same note, the worst daggers I have ever seen came out of trunk. Why? The trunk sat in an attic or damp basement.
              Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

"I've never seen leather items in normal room lighting have any problems"
                I have a US flying helmet that sat on the same side for several years; and now, one side is mint, while the other is in pretty bad shape. I dont know if its dust, or sunlight that did the damage. At the time, I hadent put curtains on my windows yet, so the light was pretty tough.
                Of course, humidity is another big enemy... I am lucky to have never had any problems with this.
                Anyways, the light thing doesnt seem to be a big probleme since no one but my flying helmet noticed it. Thanks for the input.

Comment

On the contrary - the culprit in the case of the flying helmet appears to be sunlight. As Snigley mentioned, sunlight can wreak havoc in a very short time, but the worst effects I've seen on artwork, etc. have been the result of fluorescent lighting. As long as we're talking about incandescent light, I wouldn't be too concerned. Having said that, there is no better precaution that to periodically examine the items in your collection for damage - be it from light, humidity or even an extreme lack of moisture/humidity.

I have daggers that I literally haven't looked at in a year or two, but they're tucked away in their zippered cases in gun safes with dehumidifiers and climate control. Maybe taking a look at them would be a good Fourth of July weekend project!

Best,
                  Skip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X