Maker ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maker ID?

This goes back a bit. I have a Chassepot "reparations" conversion with a mark I've never seen. It's not too clear, but it looks like:
    R_VLS
    BIRM_
    Anyone recognize it?
    Attached Files

Sorry,

I'm lost once you venture away from the Third Reich pieces...Anybody else?

Best,
    Skip

Comment

M1866

Hello its with high possibility a contract blade , that was made by english firm Reeves in Birmingham, any were made for french armory in Cahen Lyon, that have made a 100000 pcs of rifles and bayonets with contract blades from german and other countries contractors. It was in period 1867-68. Or it could be later contract for Belgian Kingdom? Have You any typical french proofs on blade, What for serial is on crossguard? best regards,Andy from BCN

Comment

Hi, Andy.
        It's got a "P" on the ricasso and what looks like a star on the quillon. If I'm reading my references right the slot's been machines to fit a Dreyse. Here's the unit mark. Zouave?
        Attached Files

Comment

Chass M1866

Hello Tom, its ok the small proofs could be french , but important is the serial number on Your crossguard, Z is assigned for Cahen Lyon production of M1866 bayonets, made with contract blades, i have one Z marked in 10000 range with German blade - made by Funcke,Stehelin, any sources say, that Z marked pieces were assigned to musician,policemans,bandsmens,and maybe to soldiers without rifles. By any upgrade for german rifles,should be the slot or the barrel ring little reworked.Dont see from Your pictures any evidence of this. Best regards,Andy from BCN

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X